a couple photos for C&C

quieststorm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok so i had just gotten my first SLR (rebel XT) and I decided to snap away. The first 2 are straight out of the camera no PP. Feel free to C&C. Feel free to edit them too.

2803132551_61f72821cc.jpg

ISO 400, 55mm, f5.6, 1/60s with on-camera flash.

2803978968_9137c5619f.jpg

ISO 100, 55mm, f5.6, 1/60s with on-camera flash.

2807351162_6739108e70.jpg

I tried doing a little bit of editting on the first one, what do you think?

First, as I've said before, posting images without the necessary post-processing is like selling a house without the roof; it's half a project. If you need help with the post, then by all means ask.

With respect to your images:

1. Not bad, albeit rather snap-shottish. Additional light is required to illuminate her hair which is all but lost in the background.

2. A nicely done conversion, good exposure, very mid-tone rich, but there's little to be done about that. Try and have the subject look toward you; not necessarily right down the lens, but at least toward you.

3. Ow. Sorry, don't like this at all. Over-saturated with a sickly yellow caste to it. I think maulrat's version, while a little extreme for my taste is a big improvement overall.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

thanks for the help guys,

Maulrat ow did you fix the face? i tried but couldnt get it smooth?

Maulrat ow did you fix the face? i tried but couldnt get it smooth?

1. Dupe the original layer.
  2. Surface blurred the dupe layer. Adjust to your liking.
  3. Add a layer mask to the dupe layer.
  4. Fill the layer mask with black.
  5. Zoom in on the skin, with the layer mask selected, select a soft brush, change the flow to around 15% and start painting white onto the black layer mask. This should slowly bring the dupe layer (blur/soft skin) onto the original layer.
  6. If you paint in too much smooth skin, you can always paint black onto the layer mask to hide some of the dupe layer.
Oh... by the way. It kind of slipped my mind that this was all done in Photoshop. I am not too sure if you have Photoshop or not. If not, perhaps there is another program you can use applying a similar technique.

Last edited:
^^^ google for tutorials on airbrushing techniques. Lots of them out there and a lot of different methods, of which maul's is one.

thanks a lot guys that why i like this forum always helpful.

1. Not bad, albeit rather snap-shottish. Additional light is required to illuminate her hair which is all but lost in the background.

I'm very much a noob to forgive my remedial questions, please.
In what way would you illuminate the hair without creating hot spots on the face and overexposing the rest of the subject?

Most reactions

Back