A couple shots of my boys from yesterday

sprig25

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
C&C welcome. I shot a couple pics of the boys yesterday.

$IMG_8676-2small.jpg$IMG_8702small.JPG$IMG_8974-2small.jpg$IMG_9155-1-small.JPG

Welcome to the forum.

The last is the best of the set.

But... Out of curiosity are you using your camera on manual or automatic? Because the settings you are using make no sense from a photographic stand point. Looks like you have decent light so why would you opt for such a high shutter speed and higher ISO where you actually lose image quality? Also looks heavy on the editing and you seem to be missing your focus. The larger your aperture the harder it is going to be to hit the focus.

I appreciate the info. I was shooting on full manual. I thought I had the ISO on auto, but that may have been my problem. I am rather new to portraits, also new to full Manual, been shooting action sport at dusk dark the past few months. I must have missed the ISO being on auto. I thought they were rather bright myself, that is why I raised the shutter speed. Trying to darken them. Maybe, if I had had the ISO properly set. But I am not sure of the focus issue that you speak of. The aperture was set to 2.8, as large as it will go on the lens that I was using, but then again, I am having some focus issues with my camera. It is a REBEL XS. I am in the process of trying to upgrade to a 60D. A couple months ago it wouldn't focus with any lens and now a couple of my lenses are having issues with FOCUS. I think it is all in the camera. I have a 50 f/1.8 but that is the main one with focus issues. That is why I used the 70-200 f2.8 for these pics. Again, Thanks for the critique.

If you don't know that 2.8 gives you the narrowest depth of field, you shouldn't be giving yourself the additional task of learning to shoot manual.

There is no prize given in photography for technical achievement, it's all about taking pictures.

I like the last one.

I

2.8 is the largest aperture (as in wide open), but the narrowest field of focus. Set your aperture to a higher number (smaller opening) to get more in focus. I have a 2.8 lens, but I can't remember the last time I used that setting. I do shoot pretty open, but not that far because I'm a stickler for sharp focus.

The pictures aren't bad for a starting point, though I agree the editing is pretty heavy. I find myself editing less and less these days. I wouldn't spend the small fortune to upgrade your camera just yet. Learn a bit more about what you have first. I transitioned up easily enough, even though I'd been shooting with the Xti, then a T1i for years. No rush to get a fancier camera because fancy camera doesn't equal quality photos.

I appreciate the comments. The boys were the only thing that I really wanted in sharp focus in the pictures. The surroundings being blurry was intentional. I originally thought the focus comments were about the boys, but if I am understanding the last 2 comments the focus in question is of the surroundings? Just trying to clarify if the thoughts are that I as not in focus on the boys or if the thoughts are a difference of appreciation for the composure of the picture. I am very appreciative of the comments and I want to make sure that I am interpreting them correctly.

The_Traveler - The reason that I was shooting Manual is that I am trying to learn to shoot manual. I only recently started teaching it to myself. I have been shooting either Apeture or Shutter priority for the past couple of years and I wanted to learn Manual so that it would give me more control in the area of sports. From a technical standpoint, I do understand depth of field and that 2.8 is very narrow. In the sports shooting, I use 2.8 as much as possible at night, to get as much light as possible. Flash is not allowed for high school baseball under the lights here.

Last edited:
From the images you have posted, the subjects themselves are not in focus. If you hit the focus on any of them it was the last one.

You have the same camera I do. Are you using Auto Focus or are you manual focusing?

When shooting more than one subject, 2.8 is almost always too narrow of focus. You can't get both the kids clearly focused at that aperture. Blurred background is fine. I always have blurred backgrounds. But you want your subject in focus, which yours are not.

Photofiend - I am using AutoFocus. CowgirlMama, I agree 2.8 is very hard for multiple subjucts.

Again. Thanks for the input. I really do appreciate it. A couple of prints that I ordered of these prints came in yesterday and upon much closer review with my wife, who is the harshest of critics. There did seem to be a focus issue. I can't see it as well in these photos unless I blow them up. I am not sure why it isn't that apparent to me. Maybe I need to eyes checked. I have also realized that my focus issue with my camera is back. 6 months ago my camera wouldn't lock focus. Talked to Canon, did a hard reset and it came back. But in the past 2 weeks, even when the camera was showing locked in focus, I have been getting images that are not in focus. Some much worse than these. The reason that I am narrowing it down to a camera issue is that I have tried 3 different lenses and all are showing focus issues, but not always the same issue, one won't lock sometimes, one is just a little off focus and one seems to be much worse. I called Canon this morning. Looks like it's either repair or upgrade time. I do appreciate everyone helping me to see that I am having this focus issue.

C&C welcome. I shot a couple pics of the boys yesterday.

1. View attachment 44111

2. View attachment 44112

3. View attachment 44113

4. View attachment 44114
First I have changed the presentation of your photos by adding some space between them so they don't steal attention from each other.
I have also numbered them to make it easier for people to identify which image they may be referring to.

Photography is about recording light. So, quality and direction of light are important. Doing portraiture is helped by gaining an understanding of photographic lighting fundamentals and lighting styles.
A lot of location portrait photography is done in the morning and evening when the Sun is lower in the sky and be more effectively used as a main light.
Direction & Quality of Light: Your Key to Better Portrait Photography Anywhere
Doug Box's Available Light Photography: Techniques for Digital Photographers
Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

Notice in #2, and to a lesser degree in #4, how dark their eye sockets are. That is also known as 'raccoon eyes', and is caused by a high light source that isn't corrected for with fill lighting.
Fill light can be from a reflector or a flash unit.

Your camera has 2 framing orientations. for each of these shots you used the horizontal (landscape) orientation. You can turn the camera 90° to the vertical (portrait) orientation.
The vertical frame is used for tall narrow subjects, like people. Using the portrait orientation allows you to 'fill the frame' better when your main subject(s) are people.
One simple step to better photos is - get closer.

Visual image composition is another image framing consideration. People have been doing visual art for several thousand years now, and by trial and error have identified composition practices that make images pleasing to look at.
Composition considerations include: visual weight, balance, form, shape, proportion, and various other aspects of an image that effect how pleasing it is to look at.

One of the more common composition guidelines in the rule of thirds (RoT). Composition: Using the Rule of Thirds

IMG_8702CROPsmall.jpg

RoT

IMG_8702smallRoTcopy.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
kmh, Thanks. I am still baffled by the Raccoon eyes as I was using a Speedlite 430EX II for fill flash. If I had the option I would have taken the pics closer to dusk, but unfortunately 2 PM was the only free time we had. Again these weren't portraits for sale, just trying to do some for my wife for Mother's day. I appreciate all of the help as I am hoping to do some portraits over the next year. I will take each piece of advice given and try to incorporate it into my photos.

You had to much ambient light exposure for the fill to be effective.

During the mid-day hours you need to use HSS so the shutter speed can be faster than 1/200.

Sprig - Mine has focal issues with Auto focus as well. Where 90% of the time Auto Focus = Out of Focus. I recommended Manual focus. For me the more control I have the better. And I am more likely to get the focus right by eyeballing it anyway. The view finder is (in theory) able to adjust to your eye sight. Assuming it isn't quite 20/20 there is a little + - wheel by the eye piece that will allow you to do that but you should consult your manual to get the details behind doing it properly. Also, when I get the images off the memory card I always go one by one zooming to 100% to see where my focus is and if I did hit it. Just from my experience with this cam I wouldn't trust it for achieving precision focus unless you are manually focusing it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back