A couple...water and a rotten bus

jensgt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first attempt at flowing water...we were on the way back from visiting a friend and I saw a good opportunity to try it out. I did not have my tripod unfortunately...:grumpy: so if you ignore the woods being blurry, did I do a good job on the water itself? I am excited to get back out there at some point and try again.

4450649505_feb2f0e29c_b.jpg

And here is an old bus I was intrigued by...

4451478262_2d96b00005_b.jpg

Talk about night and day....

The water shot is horrible, and that is the nicest thing I can say about it. How do you think this photo turned out?

The bus is awesome. Compositionally it works very well. The rust color against the clear blue of the sky is very nice. Great shot.

p!nK

lol yeah I can take that. The water...I feel like everything around the water sucks because it is blurred...sort of the best I could do with a slow SS and hand held...the water I thought was ok but not great. I was mostly just excited to have gotten a chance to try it finally...nothing right around here to practice on.

This one might is better in that stuff is in focus better...I just thought it was a little boring..

4450671629_a9952ff40a_b.jpg

And thanks, the bus shot I love. Saw a ton of cool stuff on the drive home I would have liked to shoot but we did not have a lot of time...had to get home by noon. I will be going back sometime though just to take pics...it was the Luray, Virginia area near skyline drive.

Great job on the bus. Definately try the water fall shot again. I think using a job will get you a great shot.

Use a longer exposure on the water to completely get rid of the streaks and make it all soft.

Use a longer exposure on the water to completely get rid of the streaks and make it all soft.

She was shooting hand held... OP, go back with a good solid tripod.

p!nK

Thanks guys< cant wait to go back with the tripod!

In order to get the long exposure necessary to get the water to be smooth you may have to use a neutral density filter. In certain conditions, stopping the lens all the way down is not enough to get the shutter speed into the 1/10 or even 1/5 second range.

I had a ND filter on there...just need the tripod to hold it still.

I'd like to be the voice of opposition here. :) I think if you could crop out the bank, the water shot would have a unique feel to it, created by the camera shake. Imagine it without the bank and I think this shot can be salvaged.

The bus shot is dreadful for me. It's oversaturated and the lines and huge DOF lead my eyes back to the hazy hill in the background which holds no interest. Just my opinion of course. I see that others like it so for what it's worth...

Here it is with the bank cropped out...I know it could be a lot better but yeah I think this is more decent. As for the bus, sorry you don't like it...I like the colors in it a lot...it was filled with all kinds of crazy stuff, I wish I could have explored it!

4450649505_134f1ef72b_b.jpg

No need to apologize for me not liking it, that's not why I pointed out that I don't like it. I just wanted to give you a different opinion than what everyone else was giving. It's not that I don't like the colors, it's that I think the colors are oversaturated. It looks very similar to an overdone HDR shot. But if you like it, than that's more important as a hobbyist than what other people think.

Talk about night and day....

The water shot is horrible, and that is the nicest thing I can say about it. How do you think this photo turned out?

The bus is awesome. Compositionally it works very well. The rust color against the clear blue of the sky is very nice. Great shot.

p!nK

+1

Most reactions

Back