A Damsel in Distress

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Gary Mitchell is a local sculptor who lives in my neighborhood. I walk past his place on my way to the grocery store. Gary has a pedestal in the yard where he regularly changes works on display. We recently got a new one to enjoy: Damsel in Distress.

Joe

damsel.jpg

Is she lost, broken out in some sort of polka dot rash, or merely had all here clothes stolen?

Is she lost, broken out in some sort of polka dot rash, or merely had all here clothes stolen?

Your guess is as good as mine; I'm going with lost from to pose and right hand shading her eyes. I live in an old city neighborhood with an old and conservatively religious population so Gary's 8 foot tall sculptures often depicting the nude human form are a delightful juxtaposition; for example this is the sculpture in the yard directly beside Gary's house.

Joe

fatima.jpg

I thought the damsel in distress was rather underwhelming and frankly, lousy...different, bold, colorful, but not of much appeal. The huge biceps and pencil neck paired with the skinny waist make it look like student work. But maybe that's the idea. Nobody ever really knows if what an artist alleges that he was trying to create is true, or just a cover. I suppose he had a concept one night, and that's what he ended up churning out.

I thought the damsel in distress was rather underwhelming and frankly, lousy...different, bold, colorful, but not of much appeal. The huge biceps and pencil neck paired with the skinny waist make it look like student work. But maybe that's the idea. Nobody ever really knows if what an artist alleges that he was trying to create is true, or just a cover. I suppose he had a concept one night, and that's what he ended up churning out.

No argument from me as to aesthetic merit. I just get a kick out of these things periodically popping up on one of our quite little streets. I'll have to see if I still have a photo of the giant lady with a cigar.

Joe

Your guess is as good as mine; I'm going with lost from to pose and right hand shading her eyes. I live in an old city neighborhood with an old and conservatively religious population so Gary's 8 foot tall sculptures often depicting the nude human form are a delightful juxtaposition; for example this is the sculpture in the yard directly beside Gary's house.

Joe

View attachment 108500
Well, at least they're not naked. :)

the problem with ideas is that they aren't always good. Looks like she has some sort of disease that makes you resemble a watermelon. :watermelon:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back