A day at the river

Zaphod2319

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
fJWvE4U.jpg

oL0P3Nf.jpg

Liking the 1st shot the most, very nice.

Hi Zaphod! I see the Bronica in your avatar. So, are these scanned negatives? I see what looks like hairline scratches or a long thin hair/dust moozie in the upper right of the first image. You may want to inspect that negative closely to see if it's something that can be blown or carefully cleaned off. Good composition here - a strong image.

Your second image is very nice, composition-wise. I really like your leading lines, and the deep play of shadows along the boardwalk. Nicely done!

That said, the image itself appears quite flat on my monitor. An increase in contrast, 10-15%, could really give it some punch. Some dust showing, but again nothing that likely can't be cleaned or blown away. Great detail in the boards, as well as the clouds - both these shots are worthy of some attention.

Thank you. I didn't do the scans. I had a photo developer develop the negatives and scan them to CD. I did notice that there was dust on the back side of my lens on the Bronica. I am sure I could have taken the lens off the camera and cleaned it without damaging the film, but I hesitated to do so. It is only the 2nd roll of film I have put through the camera so I am still feeling my way around the camera.

Thank you for the comments. It really helps moving forward. I really like the camera, but I am probably just scratching the surface of its capability so far.

The scratch and dust turns out to be from the developer's scanner. I worked with several of the images last night with my enlarger and the scratches and dust are not on the negatives, nor did the come through on the prints. It is nice that my negatives are good, but disappointing in the work of the developer as they are the only one within an hour of my home.

I prefer the tonal range of the first picture but I like the subject matter of the second. I have a soft spot for wood.

The scratch and dust turns out to be from the developer's scanner. I worked with several of the images last night with my enlarger and the scratches and dust are not on the negatives, nor did the come through on the prints. It is nice that my negatives are good, but disappointing in the work of the developer as they are the only one within an hour of my home.
Good to know your negatives are okay. You could certainly point out the dirt and flatness on these two when/if you take your work back to this place, and suggest you'd like to keep doing business with them but would ask for better care. You may not be so lucky next time! A pro outfit would be embarrassed with these.

Or, you could learn to develop your negs at home and be in control of the whole process. It's very easy to develop at home and costs pennies once you've made the small investment in tank/chems/reels. ;)

The interesting thing bout scratches and other flaws in photography, is you cannot correct them until they happen. Then you can decide if they are worth correcting.

I have been chasing pinhole photos, light leaks, exposure time and image sharpness were never an issue, until I took the first photo. :)

As pointed out the end result is getting the equipment and learning to control as much of the process as you can.

I am planning on getting the film developing kit this month. Then in January a decent scanner. There is some upfront cost in doing film independently, but once dialed in, it seems like a lot of fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back