A Fairy Tale Christmas Village

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For many years now the DW has been collecting Christmas Village pieces. Over time it has grown to where it includes everything from houses, people, trees, buildings, even a train. It takes a whole day just to unpack and setup, covering a wall of the dining room. She made the comment that I needed to build more display space for next year. I think I enjoy looking at it as much as the kids, as I discover new additions to her fairy tale world. A couple of shots from today.

christmas village20181213_0180-HDR-Edit.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Christmas village 220181213_0186-HDR-Edit.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

@Dean_Gretsch and @Jeff15 thanks for looking and commenting.

I was playing around on the lighting. Both were composite HDRs with really long exposures. The overhead room light was yellow orange incandescent and the lights in the buildings were very orange. I added a low power burst of flash with an orange gel on each shot to refine the details and open the shadows, moving it around between shots. In LR I switched the WB to tungsten, to cool down the image. Then in the channels of the tone curve further deepened blues in the shadows. The intent was to represent the light of a winter evening.

Last edited:
Looks like you captured a winter's evening successfully. I like the Post Office building.

Looks like you captured a winter's evening successfully. I like the Post Office building.

Thank you Cheryl. I made a ladder stand for her last year, that has everything on multiple shelves, but need to rethink that, because I believe it looked better when it was all on one level.

Thank you Cheryl. I made a ladder stand for her last year, that has everything on multiple shelves, but need to rethink that, because I believe it looked better when it was all on one level.

My set up is on an entry way table. I don't have any room left. I let the grands move the figures around. They are fairly good about being careful. Only 2 have been broken over the years. Is your wife's village all from the same maker? Mine was inherited and not the same company.

@CherylL No, it's a mixture of various and sundry items accumulated from our travels over several years.

Most reactions

Back