A Few B&W for C&C

First impressions...(In future, please number your images - makes it a lot easier for a reviewer to refer to them - thanks)

First one - interesting concept, would have preferred to have the entire glove(s) in focus, but then that is just me - frankly, the picture does nothing for me, but then I still find it an interesting approach to the subject.

Second and third ones - just too much contrast for me - not sure what I would have done though.

On this topic, how did you do your conversions to B&W? Did you shoot the originals in raw? The method of conversion has a direct bearing on the end result obviously, but not all images necessarily lend themselves to conversion to B&W, so that begs the obvious question - why convert to B&W?

There is a a Black & White Forum on TPF. You might want to try and post them there to see what response you get - just a suggestion. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

First impressions...(In future, please number your images - makes it a lot easier for a reviewer to refer to them - thanks)

First one - interesting concept, would have preferred to have the entire glove(s) in focus, but then that is just me - frankly, the picture does nothing for me, but then I still find it an interesting approach to the subject.

Second and third ones - just too much contrast for me - not sure what I would have done though.

On this topic, how did you do your conversions to B&W? Did you shoot the originals in raw? The method of conversion has a direct bearing on the end result obviously, but not all images necessarily lend themselves to conversion to B&W, so that begs the obvious question - why convert to B&W?

There is a a Black & White Forum on TPF. You might want to try and post them there to see what response you get - just a suggestion. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Sorry about that. I normally number them. Must have forgot this time. I agree that the first one should have been more in focus. my friend took the photo with my camera and I did the editing on it and told him afterwards it would have been better if it was completely in focus. Maybe next week i'll get him to bring in the gloves and try again.

I shoot solely in RAW and then export to LR. once I find a preset I like, i then adjust all the settings until i get a desired look I like. As for why cI convert to B&W, i just feel everyone has to have their niche. Some people shoot HDR solely, some people (ugh) do selective coloring or vignetting or split tones. B&W is the style i tend to lean to bc its the one that aesthetically pleases my eye.

All three are great! I especially like the third one, I think it's unique.

I shoot solely in RAW and then export to LR. once I find a preset I like, i then adjust all the settings until i get a desired look I like. As for why cI convert to B&W, i just feel everyone has to have their niche. Some people shoot HDR solely, some people (ugh) do selective coloring or vignetting or split tones. B&W is the style i tend to lean to bc its the one that aesthetically pleases my eye.

No problem with looking for a niche - a lot of us are doing that. If you are really serious about B&W, then you might want to look at Nik Software's plug-in Silver Efex Pro 2, I have it and just love it - so many different degrees of freedom and presets for B&W conversions and then there is their control point technology. You can down load it and try it for 15 days for free and it works quite well as a plug-in to LR - The World's Leading Black and White Software .

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back