a few flowers

lullabye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've always wondered how those photos of flowers with black or dark backgrounds were done. Then i came across this site the other day where people were discussing how they did it. So i took my camera and tried it. unfortunately most of my flowers were not in bloom so these are only wat i have. criticism and suggestions would be nice.

10shgea.jpg

10shiyw.jpg

10shkyr.jpg

10shlav.jpg

10shlp4.jpg

please explain how to do the black background

These are great... I really like first and last best.. :)

vikingtyty said:
could you PM me how to do the black background as well?

Here is My original instructions as they first appeared on another forum....
This is how I set up The shot …..

Set the camera to strictly manual. Adjust both Shutter speed of camera to 1/60 and ISO same for both flash and camera.
Adjust aparature of camera to underexpose (amount of under exposure is your choice and taste. How much light drop-off do you want.
Adjust aparature setting of flash for proper automatic exposure.
Adjust angle of flash-to-subject and flash distance from camera (Use side lighting for best results).
Adjust camera focus and turn off all ambient light. Room should be dark when you take the shot...

Set the camera to under-expose in order to paint only the flowers with light from the flash. That's why I shot manual at F-25 and 1/60 shutter with absolutely no ambient light (totally dark room). You can use diffusion on the flash for variations on the theme.

This is my original image given as an example. It wasn't received well in the forums I posted it. lullabye has really taken this to a higher level. My hat's off to her.
http://www.pbase.com/midnitejam/image/60571287.jpg

In photoshop, you can use one of the following methods to achieve the same thing but some may consider your image a rendering if you do this in photoshop…
You can under expose the image and then selectively dodge the portions you want to give extra light. Burn in varying degrees the areas you want to be less lit.
You can use inverse masks with the circular gradient tool on selected portions.
You can use vignettes in various proportions and degrees.
You can use a quick mask in conjunction with levels and a moderate application of feathering.
You can use Photoshop CS2's LENS DISTORTION TOOL to induce various stages of vignette .

Thanks everyone... I'm planning to take more pics soon when most flowers will be in bloom.

Anyway, I used a different technique from midnitejam since i was taking the picture outdoor but i found the discussion in taking photos with black background here http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Cpoo&tag=

I tried some of their techniques but wat works best for me is to shoot it underexpose and fix it in photoshop. I usually shoot with the background in the shade but if the location of the flowers make it impossible i tried the black cloth and it works just fine. Flash sometimes help.

lullabye said:
Thanks everyone... I'm planning to take more pics soon when most flowers will be in bloom.

Anyway, I used a different technique from midnitejam since i was taking the picture outdoor but i found the discussion in taking photos with black background here http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Cpoo&tag=

I tried some of their techniques but wat works best for me is to shoot it underexpose and fix it in photoshop. I usually shoot with the background in the shade but if the location of the flowers make it impossible i tried the black cloth and it works just fine. Flash sometimes help.
lullabye, thanks for sharing the URL with us.
I most always shoot my flower shots with a black background. I've been shooting flowers for a long time.
The results of your endeavers are by far superior to the one I posted. I use the studio/fill-flash method if I have a choice, but if that isn't possible, I create the black background in photoshop.
You do great work
Cheers
MJ

Most reactions

New Topics

Back