A few for C&C

DirtyDFeckers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I've been working on a few lighting techniques, and I would like to hear some opinions please :)

_DSC1937.jpg

kim-33.jpg

kim-11.jpg

The lighting seems rather flat to me and the images somewhat under-exposed. What was your set-up and your intent?

The person looks pretty pissed off.

It looks like you used on camera flash or something. Like Tirediron said, they seem super flat.

I am a noob but I agree as well. If you look at picture number one in the area around her nose you can see that there is little definition or depth at all.

I was using a single sb700 off camera. As far as the lighting goes, I wanted it to be as "mild" as possible, looking almost natural. An obvious fail hahaha

There are no shadows to give definition to the face.

Can you tell me what you mean by "flat?"

The light over the face is completely even and as mentioned provides no shadows to define the face. This is "passport photo" lighting. Ideally, you want two light sources at different angles, one with stronger output than the other. A good starting point is your key (main) light at camera right (or left) 35 degrees with a reflector at 90 degrees on the opposite side of the subject.

#1 - Where has the collar line of her top gone? The catchlights indicate that your main is in a less than optimum position, It also is a tell by the nose shadow. What happened to the definition on the right side (CL) of her nose?

#2 - What I see is that you have exposed the ambient nicely and exposed the subject well, but with some ambiguities. I think I read you had one light, an SB700. So riddle me this. By all intents and purposes, the ambient light appears to be in the PM and more closely to have the sun already set below the horizon. So in my mind, this eliminates the sun from being a direct light source. In her right eye, ther are two catchlights, camera left and camera right. Her nose shadow has a light source coming from camera right. The shadow cast by her earing is coming from camera left. The shadow under hep lip seems to be coming from above. There are two definite light sources as indicated from the reflection off her nose. I can't go on, I'm perplexed. How have you lit #2?

#1 - Where has the collar line of her top gone? The catchlights indicate that your main is in a less than optimum position, It also is a tell by the nose shadow. What happened to the definition on the right side (CL) of her nose?

#2 - What I see is that you have exposed the ambient nicely and exposed the subject well, but with some ambiguities. I think I read you had one light, an SB700. So riddle me this. By all intents and purposes, the ambient light appears to be in the PM and more closely to have the sun already set below the horizon. So in my mind, this eliminates the sun from being a direct light source. In her right eye, ther are two catchlights, camera left and camera right. Her nose shadow has a light source coming from camera right. The shadow cast by her earing is coming from camera left. The shadow under hep lip seems to be coming from above. There are two definite light sources as indicated from the reflection off her nose. I can't go on, I'm perplexed. How have you lit #2?

I suppose I wasn't thinking right when I explained the lighting. There are actually 2 speedlights.... sb700 camera left, sb600 camera right. Sorry for the confusion. As for the first photo, I'm almost sure that her top didn't even have a collar.

Most reactions

Back