How do I turn this thing on?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_6231.jpg
IMG_6237.jpg
IMG_6254.jpg

All were taken with a Canon 6D, 135 mmf2 and lit with a AD600 and backlight was a gelled speedlight.

Three beautifully taken images, with the 1st and last being my favourites.

Just a thought when photographing the female.
IF, head, shoulders, bust, hips, and feet all point the same direction, change something . Straight adds width and therefore weight.
Turn hips to shadow side to narrow, turn face to light, (short light) That's a start to creating an S curve composition.

They're all good, but that last one of the little girl was worthy of a POTM nomination. Great Job!!!

Just a thought when photographing the female.
IF, head, shoulders, bust, hips, and feet all point the same direction, change something . Straight adds width and therefore weight.
Turn hips to shadow side to narrow, turn face to light, (short light) That's a start to creating an S curve composition.
Thanks.. I definitely will try this out.

I like shot #1 the most of the three, but I think cropping off a slight bit of the left side of the frame would strengthen the shot quite a bit. The second shot shows a lot of the old log to the left, and she's placed on the short side of the frame, looking out of the short side; this makes no sense, but I see it all the time as some type of rule of thirds idea is at play....but this is the wrong "third" placement for her. This is a shot of a log, with a lovely woman in the frame. The last shot, of the child, is okay, but the limb behind her and to the left is very distracting. i do however, like her enigmatic, child-like expression and the way she's holding the stuffed animal.

A little bit of rotation of #1, and a slight cropping and a bit less saturation and a bit less clarity make for a mostly pleasing_IMG_6231_Derrel's edit.JPG shot. If anything, her left arm clutched against her body looks a little bit forced, but I do think the lighting you've created has a nice, warm quality to it...it looks like a very "modern", off-camera-strobe type shot, which is currently a thing people are doing a lot of, making this look very much like a second decade of the twenty-first century type of portrait.

My crop eliminated that distracting, upright snaggy wood thing on the left edge of the frame, and I think really allows the viewer to look more at her lovely features, without distraction from the background.

I like shot #1 the most of the three, but I think cropping off a slight bit of the left side of the frame would strengthen the shot quite a bit. The second shot shows a lot of the old log to the left, and she's placed on the short side of the frame, looking out of the short side; this makes no sense, but I see it all the time as some type of rule of thirds idea is at play....but this is the wrong "third" placement for her. This is a shot of a log, with a lovely woman in the frame. The last shot, of the child, is okay, but the limb behind her and to the left is very distracting. i do however, like her enigmatic, child-like expression and the way she's holding the stuffed animal.

A little bit of rotation of #1, and a slight cropping and a bit less saturation and a bit less clarity make for a mostly pleasingView attachment 160979 shot. If anything, her left arm clutched against her body looks a little bit forced, but I do think the lighting you've created has a nice, warm quality to it...it looks like a very "modern", off-camera-strobe type shot, which is currently a thing people are doing a lot of, making this look very much like a second decade of the twenty-first century type of portrait.

My crop eliminated that distracting, upright snaggy wood thing on the left edge of the frame, and I think really allows the viewer to look more at her lovely features, without distraction from the background.

Yeah, I see what you are saying and thanks so much for your help. I know what I want to do in my mind but I don't have the skills to produce it. The images of my wife and daughter are as close as I have been able to get but I am getting close. Lol.. my wife and kids are very VERY helpful and willing so I'm going to keep trying till they have had enough and then I guess I will have to pay someone to pose, I don't know. ;)
But I have fun and love doing it, that's all I know.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back