A few holiday test shots with my son

STiZzle2010

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got into photography with the interest of trying to capture my son growing and changing as best as I can. I am not a professional and I do not do this for a living. As much as I wish, I do not have a studio and I have not been able to add any OCF to my shots (yet). I'm forced to stay inside now as it is getting cold and I want to get shots with empty backgrounds like you get in a studio (I hate distractions). I'm also a perfectionist and I'm always looking to continuously improve.

With this being said, my wife wanted to get some shots of our son (specifically in this hat and shirt), that way we can share them with our friends, prints for home, and maybe a holiday card. I attempted to have my son sit on our bed using a blank wall as the background. I should have pulled the sheet tight first but, does this look tacky? These are strictly test shots as I wanted outside options before I commit to doing these this way. Any CC is much appreciated.

f2.5, 1/200th, ISO 200, 50mm, flash fired
JMH_0009 by Hebee's Visions, on Flickr

f/2.5, 1/200th, ISO 250, 50mm, flash fired
JMH_0040 by Hebee's Visions, on Flickr

3. I tried changing it up but by the end, he was done lol. He was crying and his teary eyes had to be captured.
f2.5, 1/200th, ISO 200, 50mm, flash fired
JMH_0060 by Hebee's Visions, on Flickr

For on-camera flash, these are very well done! I've seen people pay for infant shots that were far less endearing. I don't think the minor wrinkles in the bedclothes matter a whit.

Quite nice, well exposed, nicely framed.
I would have a bit more at top and bottom so he doesn't look oppressed by the margins.
A bit dull and cold.
A little lightening and warming gives him that healthy baby look and looks good to me.
And removing a bit of the empty space makes him look not so alone.

babylllll.jpg

For on-camera flash, these are very well done! I've seen people pay for infant shots that were far less endearing. I don't think the minor wrinkles in the bedclothes matter a whit.

Thank you so much! I've been practicing bouncing my flash.

I would have a bit more at top and bottom so he doesn't look oppressed by the margins.
A bit dull and cold.
A little lightening and warming gives him that healthy baby look and looks good to me.

View attachment 111989

I agree that my image is too tight around his head and feet. My bedroom is small and being limited with my 50mm on a crop body with no room left to move back, this is the best I could do. I like how you were able to add more space in and never thought about trying that, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

He's adorable! Really love those first 2. Keep up the good work!

These are wonderful, I really really love #2! :)

If you ever want to, you are definitely getting good enough to take photos for for others! :)

Beautiful Child, well done.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Children make lovely models and your's is a cute angel indeed. I love the pics and am sure some of them will go to the wall.

Thank you everyone! I'm happy to see myself starting to progress. I am always looking to improve and if you have any CC to share, please do.

A bit dull and cold.

View attachment 111989

I would be very interested in learning how you added to the top and bottom of the frame. I would imagine that this is pretty easy considering the top and bottom and a simple plain color and background but I've underestimated Photoshop before.

Great suggestion, I would never have thought of this. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back