A few jumping spiders

orionmystery

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
orionmystery.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Again, great shots. The little one that lost his contact lenses actually has rear-facing eyes! Amazing!

I wanted to ask you about the Tamron SP90 that you used to use. Did you find that the movement of the lens when focussing was a problem when trying to get close to the insects? I notice that it extends quite substantially when focussing up close and wondered if that frightened your subjects away?

Another outstanding series.

Again, great shots. The little one that lost his contact lenses actually has rear-facing eyes! Amazing!

I wanted to ask you about the Tamron SP90 that you used to use. Did you find that the movement of the lens when focussing was a problem when trying to get close to the insects? I notice that it extends quite substantially when focussing up close and wondered if that frightened your subjects away?

Thanks, Thunder, Forkie.

Forkie - they all have rear facing eyes, you can see it in #1 as well.

I always use manual focus, never had any problems with that.

Kurt,

More great shots as usual from you. Forkie, in my opinion it's a plus for any lens that is IF. I have the Tamron 90mm and the 180mm with the 180 being IF. If you move in on your subject to attain precise focus instead of adjusting the lens the non IF is no problem in most cases.

Jerry

Kurt,

More great shots as usual from you. Forkie, in my opinion it's a plus for any lens that is IF. I have the Tamron 90mm and the 180mm with the 180 being IF. If you move in on your subject to attain precise focus instead of adjusting the lens the non IF is no problem in most cases.

Jerry

So you're saying instead of allowing the front element to move in and out, instead set it as far out/in as it goes then physically move yourself to get the subject within the area of focus?

Yes. When you focus with the IF there's no movement externally so it doesn't matter. Even at 1:1 on my 90mm I can get to minimum focusing distance without scaring the subject (most of the time). It doesn't seem to matter because the speed at which I focus doesn't shoot the barrel out of the lens thus the bugs aren't frightened.

Kurt, #2 & 5 are great composition and poses. Good work, sir.

Great shots. Thank for sharing them. Not a spider fan but they great.

Kurt,

Jerry

Kurt,

Jerry

So you're saying instead of allowing the front element to move in and out, instead set it as far out/in as it goes then physically move yourself to get the subject within the area of focus?

Yes. When you focus with the IF there's no movement externally so it doesn't matter. Even at 1:1 on my 90mm I can get to minimum focusing distance without scaring the subject (most of the time). It doesn't seem to matter because the speed at which I focus doesn't shoot the barrel out of the lens thus the bugs aren't frightened.

Kurt, #2 & 5 are great composition and poses. Good work, sir.

Thanks for looking and commenting, Forkie, Jerry, TheFantasticG, thedigitalpro.

Forkie - yes, just set it to manual focus....then zoom in/out to the approx magnification you need, and move yourself to get the subject in focus:)

Most reactions

Back