Website
bay-photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few captures from some past trips:

1. Point Lobos Reserve - Pinnacle Rock sunset

2. King's River sunset

3. Convict Lake

4. Whistler Mountain, Canada - this one is a bit older but thought it was worth posting

Nice set! There are a few things I'd do different, but I won't post unless you want me to :)

Your last two are to me your strongest of the four!

Feedback is always welcome. Can't really just go back to reshoot, unless I visit again, but it helps me understand composition for future shots. Fire away!

I think these are great and you've really captured where you were. Not a big fan of the 2nd one but love the other 3. Ollie

WOW. I really like these. I am supposed to take a trip out to the san francisco/Napa valley/redwood forest/ south oregon area this summer or fall. I am buying extra cards just for the trip. So much beautiful landscape up there.

I plan to go in Whistler as soon as the sun shows up and I'm not working... Nice set of pictures. What gear are you using ?

Feedback is always welcome. Can't really just go back to reshoot, unless I visit again, but it helps me understand composition for future shots. Fire away!

Okay then :)

1) I like the simple composition, but the exposure doesn't work for me. I'd like a longer one, to really, really blur that water. You could try overexposing a little, and mask in another exposure for the sky. That would, at least in threory, add detail to rocks and remove it from the water.

2) The lighting here is sooo nice. The water is lovely, I think. However, there is little to no detail elsewhere in the picture. Also here several exposures could help you.

3) Lovely colours! The exposure is nice. However, I think I'd like more reflection and less sky. The mountain reflection is maybe a little cramped up against the frame? Maybe it's just me! :)

4) The best of the series, imo! I love the reflection - I'd like more of it and less of the sky here as well! Another thing, that you might have anticipated, is that I think it would balance the image out better if the rock was placed in one of the corners. A little brighter reflection also, to bring it out, and a tad more contrast. Here's an example I did in around 5 minutes:

Whistler-Mountain-canada-L1left-1.jpg

Whistler-Mountain-canada-L1right-2.jpg

I'm not sure which one I prefer :)

nice! they're all good, but I like #4 the best....its almost anti-rule of thirds, with the horizon centered, and the rock centered. but they play well together...personally I prefer the original crop/setup to compaq's edits, but to each their own...

the tree/bush thing on the right side of #3 bothers me, can't quite put my finger on why it does, but a crop without it might be appealing...

I was also checking out some of your other photos from the group, good stuff...did you go to Bodie while you were out by mono lake? I really want to go out there sometime.

Great pictures I esp. like number 1

Thanks for all the comments. It really shows different perspectives. I'll provide my thoughts on what I was trying to achieve for each.

1. The water around Pinnacle rock was a lighter color blue than the surrounding ocean, so I wanted to show that. It was a very very windy day so the 15 sec shutter speed helped smooth it out. I should have experiemented with a longer exposure as stated, which may have brought this out more and would have added more light to the foreground. I do however like the dark mood this whole capture provides with the darker FG and the thick clouds.

2. I wanted to go for a silhouette treeline, with the remaining sun lighting the water. I think I achieved this, however I agree that the FG rocks should have more detail. This is an image people either seem to love or hate.

3. My planned trip to Mammoth was a bit late last year as the colors were already fading. I still wanted to capture the fall colors fading, with the winter season approaching, this adding the left FG tree into the frame. I agree that it is a bit "in your face" and may be better from a perspective slightly more to the left thus not as pronounced. I also agree that the reflection is a bit tight at the bottom. I do plan on going back to Mammoth this year, hopefully in the prime of the season where I can reshoot.

4. I was going for symmetry here, however if I were to reshoot this, I would have moved the FG rock more to one side, and not split the horizon as stated. I think a bit more contract does look good too, more pop to it.

Yantropov - I have the D7000, and use the Tokina 11-16 for all my wide angle shots.

Aloicious - Did not go to Bodie, but did stop by Mono Lake about 3 hours before sunset. I was with other friends who are not into photography so we did not stay for better light. Part of the reason I like to go out shooting by myself.

Banderson - I'm also planning a Portland/Seattle trip this summer with the wife. Going to be checking out Columbia River Gorge and Mt. Rainer. Hoping for good weather!

Compaq - thanks for the detailed feedback.

I like them all, my only suggestion would be to see if you could lighten up the shadows and dark areas in #2 to bring out some detail.

WesternGuy

Nice set of photos here. Just wished i had that kind of landscape around my area. I like the 2nd one best.

Very nice shots! I like the one of Convict Lake the best. I used to fish there when I was very young.

Beautiful. I love the 2nd one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back