What's new

A few more from around the ship...

EllaElla

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 19, 2012
Messages
95
Reaction score
2
Location
Virginia
Thoughts, advice, and suggestions, please...

I like the first photo. Again, it was too bright outside, but I like the framing. I wish I didn't cut off the top of the container ship in the background.

The photo of my friend relaxing was one of my first shots while learning about DoF. I think I could have shot a slightly wider aperture to get a more dramatic effect.
 

Attachments

  • $cc9post.webp
    $cc9post.webp
    63.5 KB · Views: 134
  • $cc11post.webp
    $cc11post.webp
    72.3 KB · Views: 137
i like the first image with that blue, because it gives the "sea all around" feeling ..it gives a moonlit feeling too
You are right, with a shallow DOF, the second image would be blasting :D
 
$cc16post.webp

I liked this shot better, except for the bright light right next to the white board. Will keep at it! Thanks for the feedback!
 
The first image shows binoculars (I think) centered in the image. By placing them there, you are telling us that this is what is important. You’ve reinforced that message by making them the sharpest part of theimage as well.

But is that what you want to convey? One way to create a visual story is to have the binoculars a bit to the left, “looking” at the scene at the middle or on the right. By moving yourself over a bit to the right, you would have had the binoculars “looking” at the container ship and the other ships in the water. If that was the story, then having both the binoculars in the foreground and the ships in the background in sharp focus becomes important, and this is controlled by having a small aperture like f/16 or f/22. However, now everything else is in sharp detail as well, and you need to move around a bit to find a vantage point where the amount of distraction is minimized.

The image of your friend is interesting. By placing the face in the center (even though we can’t see the eyes), we are directed there first. Then our eyes get pulled by the dark block which are the shoes. After this, they are pulled to the bright spot, which is the whiteboard above your friend’s head. To make this image work, I’d have placed your friend’s head at the upper right power point, and the feet at the lower left power point. That would also have worked to move the whiteboard partly out of the frame, and away from our attention. It would also have created a dynamic visual image with the eye moving back and forth between the two powerpoints.

Keep shooting. Your photographic journey is quite fascinating. :thumbup:
 
Thank you again pgriz. Will try both of these shot again soon. I appreciate your advice. I gotta say, this photography thing is very addictive. I'll try to post again this week if I can.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom