A few more portraits with the new 85mm...

cbrown222

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi TPF,

I got a new 85mm f/1.8 and I've been really excited about it, so I've been taking a ot of portraits of a friend.

It was dark out when I took these, and I like how a few turned out.

All are with a Nikon D90 and a Nikon 85mm f/1.8 D and a Yongnuo 560ii

Looking for C+C! need to get better at these portraits

DSC_0044.jpg by CaseyrBrown, on Flickr

DSC_0028.jpg by CaseyrBrown, on Flickr

#2, the shoulder is the focal point. Learn about flagging your flash.

The second shot is very pretty and interesting! I like the warmth.

Need a hair light, but not bad.

Its effectively bounce flash BUT something is put in the way of the flash light that will hit the subject(s) directly so that only the bounce light hits the subject(s). If the second diagram you can see what looks like a card of some sorts on the bottom of the flash output which is blocking the direct flash light hitting the subject.

As all light travels at the same time this has the effect of making all the flash light hit the scene at the same time rather than the direct light hitting the closest subject first (and therefore illuminating them more).

Its effectively bounce flash BUT something is put in the way of the flash light that will hit the subject(s) directly so that only the bounce light hits the subject(s). If the second diagram you can see what looks like a card of some sorts on the bottom of the flash output which is blocking the direct flash light hitting the subject.

As all light travels at the same time this has the effect of making all the flash light hit the scene at the same time rather than the direct light hitting the closest subject first (and therefore illuminating them more).

I could tell they blocked the direct flash but I didn't see the card the first time. Not sure what they connected to the white card, but I see what they are doing now.

So I just looked through that article jwbryson posted and I understand what flagging is, but would that work with an umbrella? Obviously this shot wasn't with a bare flash, but it seems like flagging a flash that's shooting through an umbrella would be redundant.

I could tell they blocked the direct flash but I didn't see the card the first time. Not sure what they connected to the white card, but I see what they are doing now.

My guess is velcro of some sort, or maybe their flash head even spins 180 degrees
Also, I only have access to one strobe, so hair light was out of the question. Normally I use the sun as hair lighting, but the sun was setting on the cloudy day I took this.

So I just looked through that article jwbryson posted and I understand what flagging is, but would that work with an umbrella? Obviously this shot wasn't with a bare flash, but it seems like flagging a flash that's shooting through an umbrella would be redundant.

My guess is velcro of some sort, or maybe their flash head even spins 180 degrees
Also, I only have access to one strobe, so hair light was out of the question. Normally I use the sun as hair lighting, but the sun was setting on the cloudy day I took this.
You can flag umbrellas, but you tend to need fairly large panels. Soft boxes work much better when critical light control is needed. With respect to your images, I would like to see a little more detail in the shadow side of the face; not a lot, but a little more.

I would like to see a little more detail in the shadow side of the face; not a lot, but a little more.

John, what would be the best way to do this? Use a white board or white reflector to lightly bring some fill in?
That's probably what I would do; go close in with a white reflector camera right. If you had a second light and a large modifier, you could add a faint fill to the whole right side.

I would like to see a little more detail in the shadow side of the face; not a lot, but a little more.

John, what would be the best way to do this? Use a white board or white reflector to lightly bring some fill in?
That's probably what I would do; go close in with a white reflector camera right. If you had a second light and a large modifier, you could add a faint fill to the whole right side.

That's what I thought, you keep the dark to maintain the mood of the shot but lighten up the dark where you can tell there is a face there and not just blackness.

Yeah that would help. Kinda wanted this intense look but I see what you are saying

Most reactions

Back