A few novice shots from Iceland

jmblur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First time with a DSLR, first time shooting color with an SLR of any sort. Minor retouching with Lightroom2. I'm a novice by every definition, so please feel free to c&c!

I can provide exif data for any photos below if people are curious.

Shot with a borrowed D80 with kit lens (DX 18-135mm f3.5-5.6).

(and yes, I know photo #2 isn't really a landscape)

zobLr.jpg

rk4TM.jpg

SzxtW.jpg

bVV8W.jpg

Y7ytD.jpg

(weakest one here imo, needs more processing or just to be trashed probably)

JcmoF.jpg

I find that all the landscape shots lack any real colour punch of interest.

I noticed that a few of them have the horizon line going through the middle. Just as it is a general guideline to get your subject off center and onto the thirds, the same can be applied to landscapes. No need to have the horizon in the middle. Look at what is the most interesting (sky or bottom) and compose accordingly.

They are ok images, just need to be tweaked some.

I do like the second image with the rock. As the image is about textures and shapes, a black and white with decent contrast might work

Some good stuff here, but I have to agree with the above poster in that it lacks the color that'd give these the 'wow' factor.

I agree with above, but it does give me a very good idea of what Iceland is like.

Some good stuff here, but I have to agree with the above poster in that it lacks the color that'd give these the 'wow' factor.

Yeah, color is kind of that way in iceland! Just a kind of muted green for vegetation, with black beaches and black basalt rocks for the most part. Steel grey north sea, so no color punch there either.

I upped the saturation and vibrance on a few photos, and burned in the rainbow on the waterfall, but that's about all I had to work with.

Weather wasn't terribly cooperative either, mostly rainy conditions, so the lighting wasn't great - a lot of these were taken in the couple open minutes between rain showers.

I love the first one

i think there is alot of room for adjustments with colors still.. add some selective color saturation and some contrast and i you will be much more pleased with the results

Mike Leggero

http://www.michaelleggero.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back