A few pics with a few questions...

Axel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score

This one I'm pretty happy with. Turned out basically as I thought it would!

How do I balance the light between the dark part and the light part? I like it, but it has way too much differences between the sunny part and the shaded part...

Pretty happy with this one too!

IMO this is a good picture. However, I would like some constructive criticism!

Why can't I get the building in the back to be as clear as the bus?

This picture was taken at a blue sky (very blue!!!) but the sky turned out black almost! Why?

All of the pics have the UV filter on.

Thanks for your comments!

And I should also ask one more thing here; Why do the pictures come out better on the CD/Computer than the paper version?

Axel

Your monitor must be callibrated wrongly - yeah, yeah, I know you like it (however you have it) but your printed pix should look almost exactly like your prints (in fact, I find my prints are better than my stoopid old monitor - but it's old and cheap like me.)

Some programs have a "fill flash" function - Elements for example, photoshop has summat similar - I've used it myself but can't recall exactly what its called. It's obvious tho - I found it looking for fill flash.

Photo 3

I like the focal point of the shot, but think there is to much foreground in it. I would crop some of it out as it seems a little distracting, personally.

Photo 4

Seems a little flat on the colors. I really like the detail, just wish the color was a bit more vibrant.

Photo 5
Looks like the bus is in a shadow of a building or some structure. You could have tried to bracket the shot, but there just seems like a big contrast between the light for the bus and the building.

As far as the monitor vs prints, it could be either the monitor or you dont have a good color profile for your printer. Are you using a printer from home or a lab? I would try to find a color profile for the printer and view the images with that profile before printing them.

Photo #2 - I personally know of no way to balance the light and dark spots. You'd have to retake it in full sun or shade for it to be even.

Photo # 4 - I know the point of interest is the dead leaf but it isn't interesting enough to hold your gaze. Maybe it would be better if more of the dead leaf was showing.

Photo #5 - the building is blown out from the difference in the lighting (shade on the people and harsh sunshine on a light colored building)

#1 - Pretty good.. I like it too
#2 - >>How do I balance the light between the dark part and the light part? I like it, but it has way too much differences between the sunny part and the shaded part...

You can experiment with fill flash or have someone hold up some reflective material and bounce some of the sunlight into the dark areas.

#5 - sky and background seems over exposed. My eyes are drawn to the ad on the bus.

#6 - Looks like your camera metered off of the clouds as they are grey and overall the sky is very bright. Everything else is based on that metered exposure and the picture is probably underexposed. Same thing happens with snowy scenes. If your camera allows, open up a stop or two and allow for more exposure. Brings the clouds to a bright white. Perhaps its time to experiment with a polarizer.

Matrix metering systems are great for balancing light and dark situations as well as metering for the lighter areas and using a fill flash for darker subjects if possible.

Another tip to remember is not to post your images larger than 700 for copyright protection. :wink:

Also for future reference, post your pictures in the critique section when looking for advice.

Usually in the critique forum you only post one at a time...if you want to post several, like you did here, it's best to keep it in the gallery. When you post a lot, you aren't gonna get very good critique.

core_17 said:
Usually in the critique forum you only post one at a time...if you want to post several, like you did here, it's best to keep it in the gallery. When you post a lot, you aren't gonna get very good critique.

Good to know! Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back