A few questions about Nikon 50mm 1.8

lv6l

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Nikon D80. I am planning to buy the Nikon 50mm 1.8 AF lens. I have a few questions. There are a bunch of "f" numbers at the base of the lens, from 1.8 all the way up to 22. I currently have a Nikon 18-135mm lens and a Quantaray 100-300mm. The Quantaray 100-300mm also has the numbers at the base that I am talking about. Questions is if I use the 50mm 1.8, will my aperture on the camera actually can reach down to 1.8? Reason I'm asking is on the Quantaray i have to adjust the "f" number on the lens to f22 in order for the camera to detect it. Also another question, at what length on my 18-135mm do i zoom to get the equal focal length of the Nikon 50mm. Pretty much I want to see how it looks like so i can try out the distance in my 18-135mm first before I buy it. I know digital lens is a bit different in focal length then film lens. So I do not know if the Nikon 50mm is the same distance as if I zoom the 18-135mm to 50mm. I hope I made everyone understandable. Thanks for any inputs.

to get the equal focal length the the 50mm zoom your 18-135 to 50mm.

your aperture should be adjusted in camera... I believe the lens has to be set to the smallest aperture (or biggest number (f/22) ) in order to function correctly on the camera. Atleast my D-50 will throw an error if it isnt

Oh I see thanks. So the Nikon 50mm 1.8 will actually allow me to take pictures at 1.8 aperture?

Oh at what focal length would it be normal and the picture will match up to where I was standing when I took the picture. Like i mean 50mm I have to compensate that it is zoom in closer and i have to step back a bit. Which focal length would it be if, what i see from my eyes is what i'll see when i look in the camera.

Oh I see thanks. So the Nikon 50mm 1.8 will actually allow me to take pictures at 1.8 aperture?

Oh at what focal length would it be normal and the picture will match up to where I was standing when I took the picture. Like i mean 50mm I have to compensate that it is zoom in closer and i have to step back a bit. Which focal length would it be if, what i see from my eyes is what i'll see when i look in the camera.

Yep, so you can shoot at f1.8!

50mm on a 35mm sensor/film is considered often referred to as 'normal', as in what a persons angle of view is.

The D80 has a crop factor of 1.5 compared to a 35mm sensor, so you need to multiply your lens' focal length by 1.5 to get the 35mm equivalent. That makes 50mm 75mm. So to get the same angle of view as the traditional 'normal' 50mm on your D80 you need a focal length of 33.3mm - which probably doesn't exist as a prime.

However there are 30mm primes which will get you very close, and IMO are actually closer to a humans 'normal' angle of view.

Hope that helps!

It helped somewhat. What mm do i turn my 18-135 to see what the Nikon 50mm 1.8 d would look like. I want to walk around the house shooting at the same distance as if i was using the 50mm to see how it feels first.

Also with the 50mm 1.8 d what shutter speed and iso will i be able to shoot at with indoor shots with ceiling lights on.

Most reactions

Back