A few random shots from the bush

CarlosFrazao

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few more shots from my recent trip in Pilanesberg nature reserve.. any cc welcome as always thanks guys
#1 this lioness was so focused on its prey and was so close I couldn't fill the frame all I kept telling my wife is don't you dare close that window of yours haha
IMG_3018.JPG
#2 I think this is a tawny eagle, was a really cloudy day and had to play with my exposure compensation to get a decent shot of this big boy, just to bad on the branch in front of him
IMG_3019.JPG
#3 Baby impala making the long walk up from the watering hole
IMG_3328.JPG
#4 big male impala that has lost half of his horn, probably in battle with another impala
IMG_3336.JPG
#5 This one I call Walk of the Wildebeest went for a little darker more moody feel here..
IMG_3337.JPG
Thanks for looking.

Nice set mate, the exif on all but the last shot says that you were @600mm, so I guess you could have backed off a bit so to not clip the lioness's ears and chin, and the impala young's hoofs.
The Impala male would make a nice portrait imo, and the wildebeest might look good in portrait orientation as well, and maybe in B&W.

Those are great. Thanks for sharing, keep them coming.

Nice set mate, the exif on all but the last shot says that you were @600mm, so I guess you could have backed off a bit so to not clip the lioness's ears and chin, and the impala young's hoofs.
The Impala male would make a nice portrait imo, and the wildebeest might look good in portrait orientation as well, and maybe in B&W.

Hey bud yeah all true point there, on the lion my choice was either clip her a little or get my cars window frame in the shot and the red car that was just behind her that's why I opted to clip her rather, and the young impala hoofs are behind a little uphill that the was walking up and then darted to the side.. thanks I do really like those two photos aswell

Great set my favourite is the Tawny eagle? I think you I'd it correctly but not sure was it a big eagle

Great set my favourite is the Tawny eagle? I think you I'd it correctly but not sure was it a big eagle

Yeah it was a big boy that's why I'm thinking Tawny.. I'm not really good with the raptors yet as I started birding the same time I picked up my camera haha

I do believe you are right on the Tawny eagle - nice shot, despite the branch - there's always content aware fill? You have to watch out for these guys. On one of my trips, we were seated on some rock outcrops having lunch. One of the things in the lunch box was a piece of cold chicken from last night's dinner. One of the guys on our tour was sitting about 5 metres away from me and was holding his chicken up in his hand while he chewed some of it. A Tawny came down and grabbed the remaining chicken right out of his hand and flew off to perch on a rock about 100 m away and proceeded to consume it. Scared the living daylights out of the poor guy.

Too bad about the lion being clipped - would have made a good portrait. Need to get your driver to back off a bit. :biggrin-93:

On the impala images, you cut off the feet on both of them, not usually something you want to do. Neat shot of the one with the broken horn. I don't know if I have every seen this, but I will watch for it from now one.

The Wildebeest shot is nice. Not often you can get that many sets of horns in one image like that.

WesternGuy

Hey bud yeah all true point there, on the lion my choice was either clip her a little or get my cars window frame in the shot and the red car that was just behind her that's why I opted to clip her rather, and the young impala hoofs are behind a little uphill that the was walking up and then darted to the side.. thanks I do really like those two photos aswell

I hear what you're saying, but I meant zooming out with the lens, not moving backwards. I always leave a little space around my subject for straightening or what have you. This is what I meant for the last two, (hope you don't mind, but your profile says it's ok).

The black and white was done with the free Silver effex pro 2 plugin for LR (might have a little over the top, still learning to use it).

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3337-Edit.jpg

Yeah it was a big boy that's why I'm thinking Tawny.. I'm not really good with the raptors yet as I started birding the same time I picked up my camera haha
Looking at pictures on google i am pretty sure you are correct dont worry i may be good at id'ing raptors but show me pictures of little birds and tell me to id them unless i have seen them before i will get it wrong

I do believe you are right on the Tawny eagle - nice shot, despite the branch - there's always content aware fill? You have to watch out for these guys. On one of my trips, we were seated on some rock outcrops having lunch. One of the things in the lunch box was a piece of cold chicken from last night's dinner. One of the guys on our tour was sitting about 5 metres away from me and was holding his chicken up in his hand while he chewed some of it. A Tawny came down and grabbed the remaining chicken right out of his hand and flew off to perch on a rock about 100 m away and proceeded to consume it. Scared the living daylights out of the poor guy.

Too bad about the lion being clipped - would have made a good portrait. Need to get your driver to back off a bit. :biggrin-93:

On the impala images, you cut off the feet on both of them, not usually something you want to do. Neat shot of the one with the broken horn. I don't know if I have every seen this, but I will watch for it from now one.

The Wildebeest shot is nice. Not often you can get that many sets of horns in one image like that.

WesternGuy

Haha that guy must have Shat his pants I know I definitely would have, must have been the highlight of his trip haha...

Problem was I'm the driver and the lion was on the passengers side window, that the problem in doing the self drive thing is you have drive, watch for animals and other cars while doing all that still try and take a semi decent photo, and when there's lions there's lots of cars so it got a little tough there..

Haha back to the impalas haha yeah I have to learn to leave that noobish skill at home when I go out. More focused on the face that I do tend to forget on what the animals are standing on haha. Yeah I think it takes one very hard knock to be able to break on of those horns..

I hear what you're saying, but I meant zooming out with the lens, not moving backwards. I always leave a little space around my subject for straightening or what have you. This is what I meant for the last two, (hope you don't mind, but your profile says it's ok).

The black and white was done with the free Silver effex pro 2 plugin for LR (might have a little over the top, still learning to use it).

View attachment 132926

View attachment 132927

No issues man always good to see another perspective of things, I see what you mean on the portrait the last one does look awesome though

Looking at pictures on google i am pretty sure you are correct dont worry i may be good at id'ing raptors but show me pictures of little birds and tell me to id them unless i have seen them before i will get it wrong

Haha nice dude yeah I know the feeling I still classify my birds in 3 categories lol it Birds,Ducks and Eagles...

Most reactions

Back