A few shots from a day at the beach recently

S. Kessler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like the photo of the tunnel. It has a neat reflection/symmetry thing going on. It would have also been cool if you had zoomed out slightly to get the whole reflection in there as well. It would create an almost complete circle in the center of the image.

I would also watch your white balance as well (unless possibly your monitor isn't calibrated). These are all very blue with a strong magenta tint.

Overall, looks like a really nice area for photos. I'll bet that beach would look very pretty at sunset.

I like the photo of the tunnel. It has a neat reflection/symmetry thing going on. It would have also been cool if you had zoomed out slightly to get the whole reflection in there as well. It would create an almost complete circle in the center of the image.

I would also watch your white balance as well (unless possibly your monitor isn't calibrated). These are all very blue with a strong magenta tint.

Overall, looks like a really nice area for photos. I'll bet that beach would look very pretty at sunset.

That's what I'm thinking about my monitor. It's just some basic computer monitor I need to play with the settings on.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

As Dave noted there's a strong magenta color cast on all of these. I adjusted the color of the 2nd photo so you can see a comparison.

Joe

car_beach.jpg

As Dave noted there's a strong magenta color cast on all of these. I adjusted the color of the 2nd photo so you can see a comparison.

Joe

View attachment 134266

That looks way better. So in Lightroom, that would the temperature adjustment right? Or am I way off

That would be the temp and tint adjustments in Lightroom, yes. What are you processing for an original? Are you shooting CR2 raw files or camera JPEGs?

Joe

Joe

View attachment 134266

That looks way better. So in Lightroom, that would the temperature adjustment right? Or am I way off

That would be the temp and tint adjustments in Lightroom, yes. What are you processing for an original? Are you shooting CR2 raw files or camera JPEGs?

Joe
I shoot everything in CR2 Raw

I am a HUGE fan of #3.

Joe

View attachment 134266

Joe

Then solve the color problem by shooting a reference target either before or after you take your photos. What you need is a shot of a reference target in the same basic light as your subject. So your beach photos were taken on a sunny day. Just take a moment to catch that target shot. The target: a piece of white Styrofoam. I just save white food trays from the grocery and razor blade out about 4x5 rectangles. I keep one in every camera bag as well as my jacket pockets. Any white Styrofoam will work -- coffee cup.

Next in Lightroom bring up the reference target photo and use the white balance eyedropper to read the target. Write down or remember the temp and tint numbers and then just set those values in your photos. This will get you to the starting point of pretty accurate color. It's nice to have that start point. You can adjust from there to taste, but having that starting reference consistently will help a lot.

Joe

Joe

View attachment 134266

Joe

Then solve the color problem by shooting a reference target either before or after you take your photos. What you need is a shot of a reference target in the same basic light as your subject. So your beach photos were taken on a sunny day. Just take a moment to catch that target shot. The target: a piece of white Styrofoam. I just save white food trays from the grocery and razor blade out about 4x5 rectangles. I keep one in every camera bag as well as my jacket pockets. Any white Styrofoam will work -- coffee cup.

Next in Lightroom bring up the reference target photo and use the white balance eyedropper to read the target. Write down or remember the temp and tint numbers and then just set those values in your photos. This will get you to the starting point of pretty accurate color. It's nice to have that start point. You can adjust from there to taste, but having that starting reference consistently will help a lot.

Joe
Awesome thanks. I'm pretty new to this so I greatly appreciate it

#3 is good but the colors are a lottle cool imo and i usually ignore water marks, but come on that one is in one of the most distracting places. The water leads you up to it and you stop at it before you reach the beach

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I am an absolute rookie so with that said, The horizon in the tunnel shot is tilted. I only notice this because I do it ALL THE TIME!! LOL

Nice set especially #3. The signature however, is very distracting.

Most reactions

Back