a few snapshots

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A few snapshots I took this week. Used ambiet light only. I do like the edits I did but I don't know why the b&w seem a bit pink. What should I adjust to get rid of that? C&C welcome! More on my flickr page, some are a bit 'artsy' and I'd love to know if they 'work' or not. Didn't want to post too many here :mrgreen:

1) f3.2; ss 1/125; iso 800
6920859005_30f688a970.jpg

love this boy by paige_w, on Flickr

2) f3.2; ss 1/200; iso 800

Lillie by paige_w, on Flickr

3) f3.2; ss 1/200; iso 800

my loves by paige_w, on Flickr

Last edited:
I do see the bit of pink, no idea what that's about though. How did you convert them?

Nice light, I like #1 and #3, caught cute moments and expressions. Did you crop these at all? If not I'd just suggest trying to back up a bit when taking snapshots at first if you have a tendency to chop limbs. Can always tighten the crop later. After a while you'll notice these things more even when shooting quickly. Just nitpicking, they weren't the first things I noticed.

How are you converting to B&W?

I do see the bit of pink, no idea what that's about though. How did you convert them?

Nice light, I like #1 and #3, caught cute moments and expressions. Did you crop these at all? If not I'd just suggest trying to back up a bit when taking snapshots at first if you have a tendency to chop limbs. Can always tighten the crop later. After a while you'll notice these things more even when shooting quickly. Just nitpicking, they weren't the first things I noticed.
Thanks for the comments! I know I chopped limbs. I was as far away as I could be...backed into a wall :lol:. Our house is SMALL (750 sq feet) so it is hard to get optimal framing as I don't have much room to work with.

charlie, I used a basic preset in lr then upped exposure then increased blacks.

You aren't getting B&W out of that preset... you are getting a heavily desaturated color photo... with enough red/magenta to give it that pink cast. I would play with that, or find a better way! I do all my conversions in PS.. so can't help with the LR issue (especially since I am at work, and don't have LR here!)

No More Pink! :)

paigew.jpg

Thanks that looks way better! I will play around with the red/magenta. Now I am a bit confused though, if the presets just desaturate an image then how would you convert without desaturating? Isn't a b&w just a color image destaturated so there is only black gray and white left? Is there a different way to do it? I have ps but LR is so fast and easy, and since I'm not making millions off photos of my kids I prefer to keep it simple ;)

and tisk tisk for playing computer at work :lol:

Last edited:
Just needs MORE desaturation! You should be able to control what it does! set it to do what you want to do... the presets are usually adjustable.. if not, make your own!

okay thanks :) yes I can adjust I just thought you meant there was a way to convert without destaurating ;)

My opinion
I think #2 is great.
#1 is poorly framed; his face is in the corner with all that space above.
#3 is almost a nice shot but the faces are partially obscured and the lack of sharpness hurts it.

My opinion
I think #2 is great.
#3 is almost a nice shot but the faces are partially obscured and the lack of sharpness hurts it.

Thanks for your comments! Yes it is a bummer that in #3 you can't see their faces, I personally like the emotion it showed between the two of them.

My opinion
I think #2 is great.

Thanks for your comments! Yes it is a bummer that in #3 you can't see their faces, I personally like the emotion it showed between the two of them.

Perhaps what you see is carried over from your connection and your presence at at the time; I look at that same picture and there seems to be no interaction between them.

You have super cute kids. :)

I love that first photo.

My opinion
I think #2 is great.

Perhaps what you see is carried over from your connection and your presence at at the time; I look at that same picture and there seems to be no interaction between them.

Yes, now that I look deeper into it I think you are right about that. Thanks, as always, for the critique. :D

Most reactions

Back