A Few Zoo Portraits

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My doctor told me to get out and walk more to help the pain in my back so I figured walking around the zoo with a camera was as good a place as any.

Hyacinth Macaw - These guys are always squaking and squabbling among themselves. They always seem to have a micsheivous grin on their faces as well.

2012-02-26-01.jpg

Eurasian Lynx - There are two at the zoo, a male and female. This one is the male and is named Ugo. The female, Ilvie, was asleep at the back of their paddock.
2012-02-26-02.jpg

Another of Ugo.
2012-02-26-03.jpg

Ring-Tailed Lemur - As far as I know these guys don't have names ;) There are a number of them in their paddock, and when it's cold they will all gang up in a traditional "Lemur Ball" to share body warmth.
2012-02-26-05.jpg

This one was sitting in the sun enjoying the warm weather.
2012-02-26-06.jpg

Nie set! Beautiful Hyacinth!!!! Those guys are awesome... very sweet birds!

Thanks, Charlie. Their squawks can be heard as soon as the gate is entered, and if one follows the designated path through the zoo the Macaws are the very first exhibit they come to. I don't know how many times I've been there and probably have hundreds of shots of them, but each and every time I go I have to stop there for a few minutes because they are such a riot.

Thanks, Charlie. Their squawks can be heard as soon as the gate is entered, and if one follows the designated path through the zoo the Macaws are the very first exhibit they come to. I don't know how many times I've been there and probably have hundreds of shots of them, but each and every time I go I have to stop there for a few minutes because they are such a riot.

There is a Zoo / Park (Parrot Jungle) in Florida.. where they have a large variety of Cockatoos, Macaws and other parrots running around loose! Many are surrendered pets, I believe! Some of them are very affectionate, and love to get one on one with you (if you are comfortable with a large bird with a large beak, riding on your shoulder! LOL!)!

If you ever get down that way, you should check it out! A lot of fun, and you can get some great shots! No Hyacinths there (I believe), though.. but lots of others! :)

I'll do that. I haven't been to Florida for a while and it's about time to ride down that way again soon. Birds on my shoulder don't bother me. There is a Lorikeet pen here that has them flying around loose, and they land on the visitors as well. I like birds, love to photograph them to, but I think it's cool when they land on me.

My sister had a Macaw or Parrot or something that hated me though. Damn thing bit the crap out of me once and tried to on a number of other occasions. According to her I'm the only one that bird tried to bite so apparently we had a mutual hate relationship.

I'll do that. I haven't been to Florida for a while and it's about time to ride down that way again soon. Birds on my shoulder don't bother me. There is a Lorikeet pen here that has them flying around loose, and they land on the visitors as well. I like birds, love to photograph them to, but I think it's cool when they land on me.

My sister had a Macaw or Parrot or something that hated me though. Damn thing bit the crap out of me once and tried to on a number of other occasions. According to her I'm the only one that bird tried to bite so apparently we had a mutual hate relationship.

I love parrots.. and "talk" parrot pretty well (body language)! I use to work with Parrots a good bit.. helping to rehabilitate abused birds, and just working with some rescues. I had an African Grey... that I had to give up for health reasons, he was really awesome! very smart! I have often had a bird asleep on my shoulder (all cuddled up to my ear! lol! ) while I read at night... it is kind of a neat relationship! They are so damn smart, it is scary! :)

I've never been around many larger birds, except that bastard my sister had, but we had Parakeets when I was a kid. I remember watching TV as a kid with a Parakeet asleep on my shoulder. I guess that's one of their favorite places when they are accustomed to being around humans. You are right in that it's amazing how smart they seem sometimes. Makes one wonder if they call some people "Humanbrains" ;)

The zoo is one of my favorite places to shoot! I feel like I'm in a rut now, though. I tend to be uninspired at the zoo. It feels like I've taken the same shot every time! UGH! Also, our zoo animals don't seem quite as photogenic as these guys!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments very much.

Our zoo is about 2 miles from my house and I have an annual membership so I can go by there for an hour or so any time I want to just roam around with a camera. I do understand about getting in a rut sometimes, I feel like I've shot everything here more times than I can count as well (I just looked in my photo database and I've shot right at 5,000 photos at the zoo). I've found that if I find some that are active and moving around that all I have to do is watch for a few minutes and they will do something that I haven't seen before, something worth a couple of shots. And making them photogenic is part of my responsibility, not theirs ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back