A Fighter, A Survivor!

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok I took what was suggested in comments on my first attempt at low key and went back to one speedlight, shooting through a white umbrella, and cut way back on the light. I'm not sure about the exposure as the histogram showed it needed more light, but the highlights in the jacket said otherwise.

A little background on the lady (my wife) in the photo. She was diagnosed with stage IV Multiple Myeloma (a blood cancer) in 2009 and not given great odds for survival. By sheer determination and modern medicine, she has already tripled the doctor's original prognosis. She has undergone so much chemo over the years, that she should glow in the dark, and is currently recuperating from a stem cell transplant in July. Fortunately for now the cancer is in remission again.

I have so many more flattering shots of her that I was hesitant to post this, but to me it captured the struggle this woman has been through, the pain, the strength of character, the toll it's taken, yet still she's willing to sit on a stool in the dark while I practice. Color and B&W versions, not sure which I like the best. C&C as always appreciated.

View attachment 130117

View attachment 130118

Last edited:
Great story, and a great image! It's a different concept, but I think you've executed in an outstanding way. I much prefer the colour version; I don't think her skin tone works as well in the monochrome. Nominated for POTM.

Wow, thanks @tirediron, I didn't see it at first because I was concentrating on the processing, but once I sat back and looked at the image the realization hit me hard. I remember that look on the other patients faces from the weeks on the isolation floor of the hospital, it's acceptance - what will be will be.

My mother died of cancer. Give your wife a hug from me. I mean it, God Bless you two.

Thank you. I truly believe she will outlive me. I'm not sure if she is that strong or that determined to get the last word :) Regardless we've learned to enjoy life and live it like there's no tomorrow, how ever long that might be. She is determined to not let it define her life.

The monochrome has a sculptural appearance to it.

Another in the series. Little different. Not sure about this one, I'm really at a loss on the good and bad?

View attachment 130143

Fantastic image with great character. Great story and you can see it even if you didn't tell it.

With B&W, I think if you work on the skin tones in both these images, that the hard to identify timelessness quality of B&W would add even greater character to these shots.

@Gary A. I agree that a B&W version could well add to the image. I've tried several different things but haven't hit on the right combination yet. Still a work in progress.

You did very well. I personally like the first image, in color, the most.

Inspiring story! Please, I hope that you will wish her well from all of us here at TPF.

Thank you for posting this. It is a beautiful reminder of the strong, determined, brave lady who was my wife. Pat lost her battle with cancer ten years ago .

Most reactions

Back