A flash light, a camera and a patient mate!

Noonz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Heeey all! Sooo considering im not on good terms with money at the moment.. i found an old flash light laying around and it reminded me of an idea that someone proposed to me on this forum a few months back (forgive me for not remembering who exactly)

This is my first attempt with flash light photography. What i was going for was the 'headlights' of a car shining on my friend. If only i could have goten my car onto the sand to make the image more believable. Basically what i did was put my shutter speed to about 10-15 sec.. got him to hold still while i briefly shone the flash light on him (which is very difficult!) Id say 40 out of 50 came out blurry because of his movement.

Would love some feedback and suggestions.. not to worried about any PP just the technique in general. :hug::

davidlu.jpg

Pretty good result actually. I LOVE that airplane condensation trail in the sky below the clouds--so,so modern! And, that con-trail gives us a clue as to how long the exposure was!

that is a very awesome photo it is really tough to get somebody to stay still that long...

Cool shot. So do you shine the light on only one spot while the shutter's open, or do you shine it around him creating a larger lightened area?

Pretty good. For hints i say work fast. Practice with the flashlight before the shoot. I have even set up the flash light facing right where i want to start painting so when i hit the shutter i just turn around and hit the button on the flash light and take care of the first part. Then quickly aim the flashlight like a gun to where i want to light up next. You could get this down to 2-5 sec with practice. That will knock off some of the chance of motion blur. Also dont hold the light in one spot long at all. Use it more like a flash. the quicker he is lit up the sharper the image will be. If it becomes too dark from moving quick with the light just adjust the camera settings to get a correct exposure.
Hope it helps!

This was a 5 second exposure.
to Light the subject (pre-set and Pre-aimed) Hit the shutter, tapped the flash light, then lit up the back just with a quick flash of the flash light as the shutter closed.
4545059797_6142415232_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you everyone :hugs::thumbup:

Pretty good. For hints i say work fast. Practice with the flashlight before the shoot. I have even set up the flash light facing right where i want to start painting so when i hit the shutter i just turn around and hit the button on the flash light and take care of the first part. Then quickly aim the flashlight like a gun to where i want to light up next. You could get this down to 2-5 sec with practice. That will knock off some of the chance of motion blur. Also dont hold the light in one spot long at all. Use it more like a flash. the quicker he is lit up the sharper the image will be. If it becomes too dark from moving quick with the light just adjust the camera settings to get a correct exposure.
Hope it helps!

This was a 5 second exposure.
to Light the subject (pre-set and Pre-aimed) Hit the shutter, tapped the flash light, then lit up the back just with a quick flash of the flash light as the shutter closed.
Awesome, sharp photo! I'm going for a shoot today for a female model and will definitely try this out! I noticed that you do get a better result if the light hits the subject very quickly. Thank you so much for this feedback, really appreciate it.

Cool shot. So do you shine the light on only one spot while the shutter's open, or do you shine it around him creating a larger lightened area?
I pretty much just highlighted what i wanted to stand out. In this case i was focusing more on the rocks and model.. so to answer your question, i was moving the flash light around ;)

Forgive me here, but if the light hits the subject for less than the intended shutter speed time then wouldn't it create a ghosting?

I think it looks great...imagine if you'd have duel wielded flashlights?!?!

I you hadn't told me, I'd have mistaken it for headlights. Mission accomplished :D

Btw, where is that? It looks pretty

Forgive me here, but if the light hits the subject for less than the intended shutter speed time then wouldn't it create a ghosting?
Im not too sure but the amazing thing about cameras is how quickly they can pickup light. I tried to do a photo of the model in different positions but in the same photo.. those ones came out pretty ghosty. But think of it like a flash at night time.. if u take a photo with a flash of a person at night timw.. and they move after the flash has gone, it wouldnt show in photo that the person moved.

Hopfully someone else can give you a better answer ;)

I think it looks great...imagine if you'd have duel wielded flashlights?!?!

I you hadn't told me, I'd have mistaken it for headlights. Mission accomplished :D

Btw, where is that? It looks pretty
Haha thank you! Its a place in Sydney, Australia its called Bundeena :D

well the red ghosting in the example i put up was from the street light. if everything is still there shouldnt be ghosting... i dont think. Thats where speed will help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back