A Friend's Wedding

Having made a commitment to do something I'd probably follow thru on it or get someone else to cover, especially as this seems like it would mean pulling out at almost the last minute. I don't know at this point if it'd be an option to offer the photos and your time and expenses in gas mileage as a wedding gift or if you can work out the costs (I don't think doing work for free is a good idea but if it's this weekend I think that limits your time and your options.) If you'd be likely to be encountering this friend in professional situations later on I'd consider if it would be better to try to work something out.

If you consider taking photos as paid work in the future you might want to start looking at resources for professional photographers on the websites of organizations like ASMP and PPA.

edit - The college near me has photography as a mandatory dual major recommending business as the second major, but I think schools could vary on what program they offer.

Last edited:
So, if I read this correctly, you agreed to a contract then found out it was a 2-hour drive to get there and wanted to change the contract to include compensation for travel time? If that's the case your friend is more understanding than I would have been since these are things that you think about BEFORE agreeing to a 3-hour contract. What would you have said if your friend wanted to change the contract from $50 an hour to $25 an hour?

Well the contract wasn't written up at the time I asked about the potential travel expense. Honestly, the reaction from my friend was very unexpected and I feel I remained very positive and professional in a non-professional situation.

As SCraig said, I somewhat read it the same way though the way it was worded I was getting lost in what in the hell was going on. It sounded like you agreed on a price before knowing all the details. That is more on you then her, you (if i read this correctly) agreed on a price, then came back and wanted more money for the travel. Definatly have a lot to learn if you want to do this as a profession I would have thought that sort of thing would have been taught in a photography degree. do they not teach business with photo degrees? or is it just simply teaching you how to take photos?

There are no business classes required for any arts students. No mentor program was at my school either.

So they are only willing to pay $25 an hour for 3 hrs worth a work that you have to travel to get to?

I would tell them as politely as possible to go suck an egg.

So, if I read this correctly, you agreed to a contract then found out it was a 2-hour drive to get there and wanted to change the contract to include compensation for travel time? If that's the case your friend is more understanding than I would have been since these are things that you think about BEFORE agreeing to a 3-hour contract. What would you have said if your friend wanted to change the contract from $50 an hour to $25 an hour?

Well the contract wasn't written up at the time I asked about the potential travel expense. Honestly, the reaction from my friend was very unexpected and I feel I remained very positive and professional in a non-professional situation.
I am missing the part about the friends reaction. What did the friend do exactly? am so lost here.

Having made a commitment to do something I'd probably follow thru on it or get someone else to cover, especially as this seems like it would mean pulling out at almost the last minute. I don't know at this point if it'd be an option to offer the photos and your time and expenses in gas mileage as a wedding gift or if you can work out the costs (I don't think doing work for free is a good idea but if it's this weekend I think that limits your time and your options.) If you'd be likely to be encountering this friend in professional situations later on I'd consider if it would be better to try to work something out.

If you consider taking photos as paid work in the future you might want to start looking at resources for professional photographers on the websites of organizations like ASMP and PPA.

edit - The college near me has photography as a mandatory dual major recommending business as the second major, but I think schools could vary on what program they offer.

I appreciate your input and I agree that I have thought of going to the wedding and offering my services for free. But as a friend I feel a bit hurt (I know it's not my "party") As I said I never received an invitation and her reaction to the prospect of gas money left me in a query about how to approach her and make it better. I may try and call her to chat but I almost think after the wedding would be better.

I am missing the part about the friends reaction. What did the friend do exactly? am so lost here.

On a professional level she was offended that I would ask for travel expenses since we had already agreed to 50/hour. On a contact level, she felt it was doubly offensive to her as a friend since I was a guest.

But I didn't feel like a guest since I never received an invitation. And I felt offended by some of the things she said in reaction, The first thing she said was, " So I guess this is our wedding present to you?"

I would have thought that sort of thing would have been taught in a photography degree. do they not teach business with photo degrees? or is it just simply teaching you how to take photos?

Oh please. They don't even teach physicians how to run their businesses! The ones who really want to understand that end of it usually go get an MBA for themselves, or hire management personnel they feel they can trust.

As an aside - Guys: if this thread dissolves into pouncing on the OP, who has offered up a tale and openly admits what he knows and doesn't know, expect "moderator input". :) The OP is here for advice, not to be drawn and quartered!

Thank you!

I'm so confused at this point that frankly, I have stopped caring. Good luck to the OP...

It was a surprising reaction, but she is under A LOT of stress. And I feel like I must have been some sort of important person in her life is she was going to have me taking pictures at her wedding. I've been in contact with her for a year and have always really liked her. I guess this thread is just as much of an advice column for me about how to fix a friendship. Or at least have a working relationship enough to not create waves in this new field of work I am going into.

If it is a "present" to the bride, than you shoot it, no questions asked. Being that you received no invitation, you are not technically a guest, you are providing a service to her, and she should be charged accordingly. I agree it is a balancing act on what to do. If she is unwilling to pay mileage, you need to take a close look at the friendship. Stress should NOT play into her decision making process. A friend is a friend at the end of the day, If she wants her friend to work at her wedding, than you need to be compensated. She is getting a hell of a deal regardless.

On a professional level she was offended that I would ask for travel expenses since we had already agreed to 50/hour. On a contact level, she felt it was doubly offensive to her as a friend since I was a guest.

But I didn't feel like a guest since I never received an invitation. And I felt offended by some of the things she said in reaction, The first thing she said was, " So I guess this is our wedding present to you?"

seems to be two people thinking and understanding things diffrently. major communication issues here, likely she was hoping you'd do it for free and then you said you'd do it for $50 an hour without asking all the nessicary questions. now as you are learning more about whats going on your going back for more money and she feels like a friend is gouging them, she's likely offended that you appear to be jumping up the price on her and likely is now treating you more as a worker for hire rather then a guest. If it had been me and I would have agreed on the price with the bride, that is the price I would have done it for. 2 hour drive time really isnt that big a deal for something your doing for a friend.

Surprised schooling doesn't require any type of business or marketing classes at all. I would imagine a huge amount of people who are wanting a degree in photography would go into business for themselves and would want to learn that aspect of things since it's just as important as taking the actual photo.

Most reactions

Back