Daf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dafshots.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I shoot a lot of Motocross action locally. Usually set aside some time for practicing panning shots. I have made some improvements through these practice sessions and wanted to share one that I think came out very nicely. Comments and crits are welcome as they will help with future shots.

This is with the 80-200mm f2.8 lens - 1/250th f/2.8 ISO 400. The sky is not as blue as I would like but happy it didn't blow out completely. Not a perfect pan but very rewarding and encouraging shot for me personally. I had a few more than usually like this one. I wish I had framed it better but will in the future.

Thanks for looking!
Daf

goodpan.jpg

The pan itself doesn't look bad, but I think you need a slightly slower shutter speed. The background isn't as blurry as I like to see in pans. I know that's hard, especially in motocross with the uneven terrain. I've found that panning is a WHOLE lot easier if you get in closer with a wider lens. Another key for a succesful panning shot is to give the rider somewhere to go in the shot. I'd like to see you positioned a few feet to your left so you could see some more out in front of the rider. Not necessarily the ground, but just more space out in front of him. With the sense of motion that panning brings to a photo, it's important to give that motion somewhere to go, rather than just into the bottom/side/corner of the photo. You want to try and get more space in front of the rider than behind him.

My nitpick with the shot however, is that it's overexposed, and the colors seem a little off because of it. I'm gonna go a quick edit of it and re-post, just as an example.

Hi Destin - thanks for the reply!

I will try a slower shutter speed - like 1/200 or are you thinking even slower like 1/100?

I totally agree on the "more space" - I would have like that, too. This, being a lucky shot, just didn't come with enough to crop with that space unfortunately. But future shots will! :thumbup:

I wish you would do an edit so I can see how it should look as far as exposure. I seem to get into trouble with exposure when I swing the camera up like that and get a bunch of sky. Things are happening too fast to take any actions at that moment.

Thanks again for the reply!
Daf

Daf, sorry I never posted my edit, my router was giving me trouble so I couldn't get it to upload. I'll post it at some point today. Is there any way you could send me the original file, before you edited it? It would just make like easier and I could give you a more helpful edit. My email is [email protected]

As far as shutter speed, it depends on the speed as skill of the rider but I've found that 1/125th is a good starting point in motocross. My best luck panning has been to get inside of a tight corner, follow the bike through the corner, taking as many shots as possible as it passes you. like I said a wider lens is better for this. I like my 28 2.8, or 50 1.8 depending on the corner.

As far as exposure goes, try finding a spot where you can get some trees, or the ground, in the background instead of the sky. And always try to keep the sun behind you as you shoot to keep the rider from being all shadowy.

For good practice Panning go out to a main road or highway near you, and practice on passing cars. Experiment with shutter speeds as low as 1/60th to see how they turn out.

Hi Destin - I don't want you to go to any trouble with the editing, I only have the jpg anyway (D40 has very slow fps rate with Raw). Thank you so much for your advice and time, I do appreciate it. I think I've learned a bit more about panning and can't wait for the next race to try out the suggestions.

Thanks again!
Daf

Most reactions

Back