A Good Photo Printer?

feRRari4756

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys I have been taking a lot of shots latley and want to buy a nice photo printer. i dont mean one of those portable ones that print 4x6's. I want one that is really nice and prints through a computer with prints of at least 8x10's.

I would prefer an epson first, but then I would go with HP.

I am looking to spend about 300 max.

I know the Epson R220 (Link Here) is a good one (even though they are discontinued.). I could get one on ebay for about $230.

BUT, is there something better than that in the Epson line at a cheaper or same price? Heres one i found, can u let me know what u think?

Epson Photo 1400

I think you'll be too limited and subsequently unhappy with the R220.

The Epson R-1400 would do a great job for you in color (and it does up to 13x19, too), but it'll probably be a little weak on the black and white. If that's not important, go for it.

But for both fantastic color and black and white, plus the capability to use a wide range of fine art papers, try a refurbished Epson R2400, or Canon Pixma 9000. Or pop for a new Epson R2880 (I think they have a rebate going now). These will cost more, but in the long run, you'll be happier with your results.

I personally use the R2400, and the results I get with it are fantastic.

Thanks for your input!

Yes, now that I think about it, I dont think the r220 would be a good choice.

The Canon Pixma 9000 seems like a very good choice, but its about 340 on ebay and there are numerous reviews about how much ink it consumes. It also only prints up to 11x14, where as the Epson does 13x19. Even though it has these cons, im still seriously considering it.

The Epson r1400 I can get for about 60 bucks cheaper than the Canon and print bigger prints, and it uses less ink.
So these are my choices. The Canon Pixma 9000 or the Epson r1400.

How do you think these will compare?

Again, is black-and-white important to you?

I have a friend who has the Canon Pixma 9000. He does both color and black and white, but more black and white. He loves this Canon printer. I've seen his prints -- and they are great!

Can't really help you with the R1400, as I haven't seen prints from it. I have a friend who has the R1800 and does only color *it's not good for black and white) and she loves that printer. Here's a forum comparison between the two:

Epson R1400 vs. R1800: Printers and Printing Forum: Digital Photography Review

I have the R2400 and it has near infinite black-and-white controls with the K3 pigment inks, which for me, specializing in b&w, is essential. The new R2880 supposedly retained the superior black and white controls and made the color even better. Maybe save up and get that one and you'll be happy for the next 4 years.

I think all these printers burn through the ink. I know my R2400 does. It's a racket! They can practically give the printer away and make a fortune off you on ink!!!

Okay thanks for your input again!

I have read ALOT of reviews on the Epson Photo 1400 and think its a great printer at a great price. I can get one for about 175 on ebay. It has all the features I would need, and is built very well.

Also, I have done some reasearch on the Epson r1800. This also seems like a great printer for the price. For about 40 bucks more, I can get this one on ebay. I would like the faster printer speed it offers and the waterproof prints it offers (BTW, are these prints 100% waterproof like the KODAK ones?)

THAN

I can get the Canon Pixma 9000 for about 350. For that price, I dont really think it offers an advantage over the R1800.

So, the Canon Pixma is crossed out from the list and I am down to the Epson r1800 or the Epson r1400. Do you think there is any other differences other than the print speed and the waterproof inks? Like is there better clarity and stuff?

And also, I am planning on selling prints maybe, so how much would it COST me to PRODUCE a print with the high quality paper? I am thinking around $3 for one print. Is that about right? OR you can just tell me how many prints u get off a set of ink cartridges and ill do the math.

THANKS.

Any printer you buy is going to eat up ink. Don't be fooled in thinking one printer is more ink-economical than the other. The difference is there sure, but its not enough to justify gimping yourself on features over another one.

The Pixma 9000 does 13X19. I have one. It also reproduces color pretty damn well. I also have an OLD HP D7360 for 8.5X11 prints, and that is suitable for everyday photos.

You need to ask yourself - "How often am I going to print out a photo that deserves to be on 13X19 paper?" Is it worth the price (well the Pixma is 400 before rebat, 300 after so it is pretty cheap)? I personally wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Pixma over the Epson (especially for resale value), but if you do not print 13X19 enough to justify the cost (of going to Kinkos), then you might want something else.

I will not print on 13x19's a lot at all.

But both epsons im looking at are capable of productin them.

Im just asking if there is any other benefits (except faster print speed and waterproof prints) of the epson 1800 over the epson 1400?

Pigment versus Dye. The 1400 is dye based, and the 1800 is pigment based. Dye based ink doesn't last as long, but in this age of digital where it is as simple as hitting "print" you have to ask yourself if the cost is actually justified, versus just buying a new printer 10/20 years down the line when you need to reprint these photos.

True, pigment inks are better for longevity. And it's nice to think if you put a fine print out there, it'll still be around decades from now if properly cared for.

I'm assuming black and white is not important to you. But.... will it be a year from now when you suddenly discover how much you love black and white? The Canon 9000 or the Epson R2400/2880 will be better.

I'm out of answers comparing the R1800 to the R1400. I only know the R1800 does phenomenal color because I've seen the prints. And I would suggest... that you will use the 13x19 capability sooner and more often than you think. For example, would you like to print 12x16? Or 12x15? I do all the time. It's a great size.

Costs: I pay $3.50 to $4.00 for a fine sheet of 13x19 photo art paper. You can buy lesser papers, of course. The ink for one print might be $1.50. I'm sure I pay $5 for one print. And when I screw a few up, I've spent $20! Don't think it will be economical. They've got you over a barrel on ink!
The important thing is convenience and control!

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
Okay thanks!

So, I think it will depend on whatever one I can get at a good price. Like if i can get the better one foronly liek 15 bucks more, ill get that one. im gonna start bidding on ebay.

and also is the "waterproof" pigment inks for the r1800 really 100% waterproof (like i can submerge itin water like the kodak ones?)?

Okay thanks!

So, I think it will depend on whatever one I can get at a good price. Like if i can get the better one foronly liek 15 bucks more, ill get that one. im gonna start bidding on ebay.

and also is the "waterproof" pigment inks for the r1800 really 100% waterproof (like i can submerge itin water like the kodak ones?)?

Do you live in areas with high flood risk?

Ha no I do not, but I am just wondering. Because I am going to start shooting events, and if they were 100% water proof like the kodak prints, I can advertise that lol.

Most reactions

Back