New to photography

jackfp08

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone! I’m an amateur photographer based in Boise, Idaho. I made a website to sell some of my photos and just wanted to let some people know about it! All the photos come in 6x4 glossy photo print! I appreciate all and any traffic! Thanks for the support, FP Photos. This is one of my favorite photos:
IMG_2512.jpeg

www.fpphotos.store

Last edited:
It is difficult to see the photos on the website. I definitely cannot tell if they are good quality or not. 6X4 is quite a small print. You may also want to take a look at some tutotrials on how to do macro photography on youtube.

It is difficult to see the photos on the website. I definitely cannot tell if they are good quality or not. 6X4 is quite a small print. You may also want to take a look at some tutotrials on how to do macro photography on youtube.
What print size do you think would be best for this type of photography? Also, from what you can see, would you even consider purchasing one of the photo prints for the price and size? Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome, but I gotta agree with snowbear that all-over type is distracting. Any chance you'd benefit from reading an article on creating watermarks in a more subtle way? :chuncky:

What print size do you think would be best for this type of photography? Also, from what you can see, would you even consider purchasing one of the photo prints for the price and size? Thanks for the feedback!
I usually do 8x10. Honestly, you need more practice doing macro photography. What camera/lens did you use?
The ones that I could see are very blurry/out of focus, flat, and it's hard to find a focal point. I don't think a stock photography website would allow you to submit these. I don't mean to be overly critical, but do a search of some macro photos on the internet and then compare them to yours, you will see the difference in quality.

I usually do 8x10. Honestly, you need more practice doing macro photography. What camera/lens did you use?
The ones that I could see are very blurry/out of focus, flat, and it's hard to find a focal point. I don't think a stock photography website would allow you to submit these. I don't mean to be overly critical, but do a search of some macro photos on the internet and then compare them to yours, you will see the difference in quality.
Thanks for the advice, I updated the website so when you click a picture it shows a large version of the photo without watermarks. I used a Nixon with an AF Micro Nikkor 105mm lens. I was wondering if any of the photos stood out to you as being particularly good and of a higher quality than the rest (obviously comparatively to my other photos ;). Thanks for the advice!

It's border line. Hopefully the OP will start posting images rather than links to an off site web page.
Here's some photos that I think are my best:

Attachments

• Angry Wasp.jpg
    Angry Wasp.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0022.JPG
    DSC_0022.JPG
    866.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0179.JPG
    DSC_0179.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0609.JPG
    DSC_0609.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC_1121.JPG
    DSC_1121.JPG
    541.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_1137.JPG
    DSC_1137.JPG
    727.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_1147.JPG
    DSC_1147.JPG
    955.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Pavement Ants around Honey.JPG
    Pavement Ants around Honey.JPG
    574.1 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to TPF! I hope you check out the Photo Galleries, and share your work there, by various categories.

I think your work looks very good overall. At this forum, we post our work in the Photo Galleries and comment, discuss or share techniques.

Look around and join in! Keep posting and have fun.

We all have to start somewhere, but this hits so many of the typical photography tropes it almost feels like you're yanking our chain.

These are going to sound harsh, and I'm sorry, but I'm being honest, and someone needs to say it:

- all of the images have such a shallow DOF that parts of the subject are lost
- composition is limited at best
- your website has that excessive watermark, but your images, when clicked, don't
- the excessive watermark, frankly, screams amateur
- your pricing, at best, indicates a lack of familiarity with a working business model
- you're posting to a photography site... not your market since the people here can create their own works

Etc.

And photography is not this kind of business anymore. It's just not viable. Starting new requires all kinds of different skills with social media and advertising and maintaining a buzz. And anyone who wants a close-up of a grasshopper can do a google search and get a hundred images of higher quality for short money.

This is not to say you can't do a business in photography. It's just to say I think you're very much barking up the wrong photography business tree.

We all have to start somewhere, but this hits so many of the typical photography tropes it almost feels like you're yanking our chain.

These are going to sound harsh, and I'm sorry, but I'm being honest, and someone needs to say it:

- all of the images have such a shallow DOF that parts of the subject are lost
- composition is limited at best
- your website has that excessive watermark, but your images, when clicked, don't
- the excessive watermark, frankly, screams amateur
- your pricing, at best, indicates a lack of familiarity with a working business model
- you're posting to a photography site... not your market since the people here can create their own works

Etc.

And photography is not this kind of business anymore. It's just not viable. Starting new requires all kinds of different skills with social media and advertising and maintaining a buzz. And anyone who wants a close-up of a grasshopper can do a google search and get a hundred images of higher quality for short money.

This is not to say you can't do a business in photography. It's just to say I think you're very much barking up the wrong photography business tree.
I have spent a while redoing the website, I want to know what you think of it now. Are the photos better? Also, what pricing do you think is appropriate for 6x4 photos with free shipping?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back