a guide to photo knowledge for beginners and advanced shooters

nikonfreak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Welcome to my tips for getting great photo's . Disclaimer : most of the topics can be found on google , not every body may be interested i'll try to post information about the most important things to understand to help you create the images you desire .

before we dive in to the topics it is good to know that when i have it over a camera, i mean a Crop size camera with a aps sensor from sony (89%) in a Nikon camera, and i talk about digital not the "removable sensors" or film or analogue camera's with out a digital display on the back to preview a image after or before (live view) taking or composing a shot.

When you have a digital single lens reflex camera (DSLR) for Nikon you are right here. Most of the things i will try to explain can be used on Canon , Pentax, Sony and a few other brands too but since i am Nikonfreak i use nikon 96% of the time

The most recent series of nikon in DSLR have live view , the image you see on the display comes direct from the sensor , the mirror in side is locked in place during live view.

it can be seen as what compact camera users have , with that said that 97-98% do not have mirrors (compact camera's i mean) . But normaly you look through the viewfinder and press the shutter button half way to focus and full to take a picture or image or shot .

i use the view finder because in live view mode it is harder to focus than with a view finder.

so that is cleared hopefully.

Most dslr camera's have a mode dial , it has images and letters on them i will try to explain what a certain mode does and what to expect when using it .

A=Aperture priority
aperture or diafragma have a F nr like f 1.8 and up to f 22 or more .
the f1.8 is wide open in this example and the f22 almost closed aperture.

with a lens like a 18-105 dx ed vr f 3.5-5.6 you can create a shalow depth of field and thus create a bokeh ( bokeh is a subject sharp and a blured background)

Shutter priority ( S or TV)
Shutter priority (usually denoted as S on the mode dial), also called time value (abbreviated as Tv), refers to a setting on some cameras that allows the user to choose a specific shutter speed while the camera adjusts the aperture and iso to ensure correct exposure.

P =Programmed AUTO

With P mode on the mode dial you get a programable auto mode , but you can choose and use iso and exposure compensation , while the full auto mode does not offer you that.

it is imho a good way to start, later on when you understand what S nr goes with a F nr and what ISO goes with it then you can get creative your self . i shoot 75% of the time in P mode and the rest in A mode .

because i am no Maths kind of guy , and calculate ain't my middle name either , i let the camera decide .

this ends the part 1 , enough written , practice for your self

Last edited:
The bit from the internet - you really should acknowledge exactly which part of the internet with a link not just plagiarise it.

In general - as clear as mud.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

The bit from the internet - you really should acknowledge exactly which part of the internet with a link not just plagiarise it.

In general - as clear as mud.

hi you are right i will edit my thread

.............with a lens like a 18-105 dx ed vr f 3.5-5.6 you can create a shalow depth of field and thus create a bokeh ( bokeh is a subject sharp and a blured background)............

Seriously? :hypnotysed:
1j2q1i.gif

So long as you are learning, Sparky.

.............with a lens like a 18-105 dx ed vr f 3.5-5.6 you can create a shalow depth of field and thus create a bokeh ( bokeh is a subject sharp and a blured background)............

1j2q1i.gif
yeah if you zoom in to 105mm in aperture mode with 5.6 that is possible

DOF and bokeh are not the same.

i did not say they are the same , if you know it better i am eager to learn

1j2q1i.gif
yeah if you zoom in to 105mm in aperture mode with 5.6 that is possible
Not sure you understand what bokeh is. Bokeh is the quality of the out of focus areas - you pretty much always have bokeh. Bokeh is either nice or nor nice - appealing or not appealing. You can have a picture with nothing in focus - all blurred - and you still have good bokeh or bad bokeh etc.

Bokeh is the aesthetic appearance of the OOF portions of the image. It can be called many things. Dreamy, creamy, good, nice, OK, fug-ugly, doughnut..... There is more to creating 'good' bokeh that just a large aperture. The number of aperture blades, whether there's an odd or even count of the aperture blades, and the optics of the lens affect whether bokeh is 'good' or not.

A note for beginners.......GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA BY USE OF THE MANUAL.

Yeah the manual shure helps , but some brands need a simple mind to understand what they mean , a good idea might be to see a few video's about your camera. Some people like me are better off with a manual on video or user guide.

Most brands have their own photoschool like nikon .
i advise to google your camera brand and model + video .
Even goole the brand name and model with Tips and Tricks , because it ussually gets deeper than a normal introduction

Or better yet, find some innernet forum that's chock-full o' folks who know stuff.

nikonfreak its commendable that you'd take the time to try and help others learn; however from what you've written it would appear that you yourself are possibly not as far along as you feel you are. This is ok, there is nothing wrong in that at all. However I would encourage you to, instead of trying to teach or advise at this stage, instead ask questions and discuss matters.

Discussing things and asking questions are important tools, just as much as writing out what you know is. Many times (esp for the self taught) writing out what you know of a subject helps you not only understand what you know a bit better, but can show you where you've got gaps in your understanding; and gives others an idea how you are approaching and interpreting understandings. That can show them where you've got missing gaps or incorrect assumptions.

Bokeh is a fantastic example of a term that gets used wrongly, but also very casually. The result is it can confuse people and they can pick up on the wrong meaning of a word, such as you have. You don't realise it because in casual conversation your understanding sort of made sense, but it was factually incorrect. Being aware of that empowers you far more so in your general understanding, awareness and where you might take your self learning

Welcome to my tips for getting great photo's . Disclaimer : most of the topics can be found on google , not every body may be interested i'll try to post information about the most important things to understand to help you create the images you desire .

before we dive in to the topics it is good to know that when i have it over a camera, i mean a Crop size camera with a aps sensor from sony (89%) in a Nikon camera, and i talk about digital not the "removable sensors" or film or analogue camera's with out a digital display on the back to preview a image after or before (live view) taking or composing a shot.

When you have a digital single lens reflex camera (DSLR) for Nikon you are right here. Most of the things i will try to explain can be used on Canon , Pentax, Sony and a few other brands too but since i am Nikonfreak i use nikon 96% of the time

The most recent series of nikon in DSLR have live view , the image you see on the display comes direct from the sensor , the mirror in side is locked in place during live view.

it can be seen as what compact camera users have , with that said that 97-98% do not have mirrors (compact camera's i mean) . But normaly you look through the viewfinder and press the shutter button half way to focus and full to take a picture or image or shot .

i use the view finder because in live view mode it is harder to focus than with a view finder.

so that is cleared hopefully.

Most dslr camera's have a mode dial , it has images and letters on them i will try to explain what a certain mode does and what to expect when using it .

A=Aperture priority
aperture or diafragma have a F nr like f 1.8 and up to f 22 or more .
the f1.8 is wide open in this example and the f22 almost closed aperture.

with a lens like a 18-105 dx ed vr f 3.5-5.6 you can create a shalow depth of field and thus create a bokeh ( bokeh is a subject sharp and a blured background)

Shutter priority ( S or TV)
Shutter priority (usually denoted as S on the mode dial), also called time value (abbreviated as Tv), refers to a setting on some cameras that allows the user to choose a specific shutter speed while the camera adjusts the aperture and iso to ensure correct exposure.

P =Programmed AUTO

With P mode on the mode dial you get a programable auto mode , but you can choose and use iso and exposure compensation , while the full auto mode does not offer you that.

it is imho a good way to start, later on when you understand what S nr goes with a F nr and what ISO goes with it then you can get creative your self . i shoot 75% of the time in P mode and the rest in A mode .

because i am no Maths kind of guy , and calculate ain't my middle name either , i let the camera decide .

this ends the part 1 , enough written , practice for your self

I read through it a couple of times. I am sorry, I could not make sense of most of the sentences. Was this translated from a different language?

Most reactions

Back