A Kayaks View

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Finally got out on the kayak at Robinson Preserve in Bradenton, FL. but the harsh, overhead sunlight and water drops on the lens managed to ruin what might've been some decent pics. Live and learn. Oh, well, I'll go back again later in the day when the sun is lower aaand with a towel to cover my lens. Real nice place to visit, though!

IMG_8205 (2).JPG

IMG_8246 (2).JPG
My first pic of a red-winged black bird here, ruined. Ugh! :disturbed:
IMG_8324 (2).JPG

IMG_8482 (2).JPG

IMG_8582 (2).JPG

IMG_8602 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Nice set, but I'm surprised there's no gator pictures ? No kayak adventure in FL is complete without an in your face, at water level, picture of a gator. LOL

Looks a really good location for wildlife...
Nice set, but I'm surprised there's no gator pictures ? No kayak adventure in FL is complete without an in your face, at water level, picture of a gator. LOL
Very nice are you sure it's not sensor dust?

Thanks everyone! I wasn't expecting any replies because of the lens spots.

@Jeff15 : It's an excellent place. You can walk the trails, ride a bike or paddle around and sneak up on the birds for some good close ups. The osprey in the one pic didn't notice me until I got real close and gave a little whistle, then he spun around and gave me the stink eye! lol!

@smoke665 : The reserve is right on the ocean so the water is too salty for alligators. I'll go to another place a little more inland and close by soon enough that has plenty of gators.

@Raw photographer : Yep, positive. I wasn't careful enough and water droplets fell off the paddle and splattered inside the kayak. I didn't think that it got to my lens because I had the cover on but I was wrong.

The reserve is right on the ocean so the water is too salty for alligators. I'll go to another place a little more inland and close by soon enough that has plenty of gators.

Don't be to quick to assume. South FL is the only place you can find both Crocodiles and Alligators. Crocodiles live primarily in saltwater habitats like ponds, mangrove forests and coastal creeks. There have been a few on Sanibel for several years, and have been supposedly seen around Coral Gables. Did an airboat tour a couple years ago in the everglades, out of Everglades City. Guide pointed out some.

Great set @K9Kirk! I especially like #2. Great detail dispite the lighting inside the brush. :icon_salut:

This trick helps me while in a kayak. Water dropping from the paddle is unavoidable however while paddling around I keep my camera in my lap tucked up close to my body and covered with a small kitchen-sized towel. Also, I have a sit-in type kayak. This works for me to keep my rig dry.

The reserve is right on the ocean so the water is too salty for alligators. I'll go to another place a little more inland and close by soon enough that has plenty of gators.

Don't be to quick to assume. South FL is the only place you can find both Crocodiles and Alligators. Crocodiles live primarily in saltwater habitats like ponds, mangrove forests and coastal creeks. There have been a few on Sanibel for several years, and have been supposedly seen around Coral Gables. Did an airboat tour a couple years ago in the everglades, out of Everglades City. Guide pointed out some.

I've done my homework as well and I agree with you, never trust any body of water in Florida. I may be too far north for crocs but it's not unheard of for an alligator to visit a beach or two which means they can visit 'any' body of water. I'm pretty safe in my boat, though. It's usually the crazy swimmers that ever get attacked. There are other instances that involve a leisurely stroll around a lake and someone or their dogs learns the hard way how quick an alligator can launch from the water. Enough, of this gator talk. Now back to happy thoughts with Bob Ross!

Great set @K9Kirk! I especially like #2. Great detail dispite the lighting inside the brush. :icon_salut:

This trick helps me while in a kayak. Water dropping from the paddle is unavoidable however while paddling around I keep my camera in my lap tucked up close to my body and covered with a small kitchen-sized towel. Also, I have a sit-in type kayak. This works for me to keep my rig dry.

Thanks, I liked that one as well! Agreed, that's how I do my camera, too, and a towel should help a lot when I'm not using the camera. I've already changed my paddle stroke to keep it low and outside the kayak so I should be good next time out.
I had a sit inside once and didn't like how they collect and keep water inside and I especially didn't like having to drain it. I like a sit on top much better because if it flips over you can 'right it' in deep water and get back in it in deep water much easier. Don't get me wrong, I did have fun in mine while I had it.

Last edited:

yeah, gators are everywhere in Florida
and shooting from a kayak will get you good pics ... if you don't fall in the water

Most reactions

New Topics

Back