'A' List Gallery

Marctwo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.marctwo.co.uk
I'd like to put forward the idea of a 'finished work' type of gallery for people to show their A list material.

Each thread would contain 1 photo that the photog considers to be a finished work that is wall-worthy rather than "25 pictures I took from the train window".

I generally want to see the work that the photog themselves feel is amongst their best. It's very difficult to find this in the other galleries and I've all but given up looking most of the time.

Any thoughts?

This would probably work more as a thread than a whole forum. I think that is a great idea for the photo themes forum.

Well, as a thread each pic wouldn't really get the attention it deserves - this is the photog's best work afterall.

Also as a thread, you'd have to sit through the whole 'loading 40-50 pictures' thing.

Yeah.. but the general gallery is already the place for photographers to get their ego's stroked.

Hertz van Rental said:
If you subscribe to TPF you get your own gallery where you can do this is you wish.
I don't want my own gallery.

I'd just like to be able to go into a gallery that isn't completely over run with so many new threads every day, where I know that each picture is one that the photog is particularly proud of, where each picture is presented strongly on it's own instead of being stuck in the middle of another 10 unrelated pic's.

I miss an awful lot of great work that goes through the galleries because I generally don't browse them anymore. I find sifting through so many pictures quite brain numbing - more of a task than a pleasure. I will occasionally be drawn in by an interesting title but I mostly just stick to the critique gallery.

Too problematic.
Who decides what is 'A' list? Whoever it is - photographer or otherwise - it would lead to arguments (believe me it would).
It would also take a lot of time, effort and bandwidth to manage. There are 6,500+ members and even if you limited it to just the active ones...
Also some people would feel that their work wasn't good enough and then it becomes an elitist thing and an ego trip. More arguments, this time with polarisation.
It is far better for members to have their own galleries if they want. A lot have home pages or galleries. If you subscribe you get a gallery here that other subscribers can view (a damn good reason to join).

Hertz, I believe he means a forum not a gallery like the ones subscribers get.

I think the idea is very good. I also have half given up looking for the "A List" photos and only really look at the people who don't submit often because they usually only submit their best stuff.

When I first joined I thoguht the critique forum was like this and I only submitted a couple of what I thought were my best pictures and expected to get critique/review but now I see thats not the aim of that forum.

So I think this would be a good addition.

Marctwo said:
Wow... why so negative?
Not negative - just being realistic.

Marctwo said:
Where did you drag up all those problems from? It's just another gallery. :hertz:
The problems that I mention are the one's that always crop up when we have a Gallery change - or even propose one.
If you are proposing just another Gallery where people can post their 'best' pictures then how is that different from the Galleries we have now?
It will suffer from exactly the same problems as the others. There will be people who consider all their work to be 'A' list and pictures will disappear with the rapidity they do now. And as it will be up to the photographer to decide what goes in then there will be no guarantee that the work truly is their best - or that others will agree.
Something similar happened to the Crit Forum - people saw it as a place to post pictures that would normally have gone into the general Gallery but they didn't like the way post dropped so quickly - so they posted in Crit, not because they wanted a crit but because their pictures stayed around a bit longer.
It took JonMikal quite a lot of time and effort to kick that place back into shape and make it serve it's original purpose again.
The Gallery situation is constantly under review by the Admin team and we often consider ways in things might be improved. The reality, though, is that whatever we do will be a compromise and people will not be happy. The structure we have at the moment works - it's not ideal, I grant you - but for now it's the best we've got.

I'm going to have to agree with Hertz on all points on this one. These sorts of things HAVE been kicked around A LOT by the moderators, so I assure you these aren't issues that Hertz just pulled out of the air. I don't think it would work, either, though it would be nice.

i thinks it's a pretty good idea! :thumbup:

it would make people think before they post a pic! the only problem i would see is that people might end up ignoring the other forums.

but it would give insight into what the individual thinks is good work!

would critique be acceptable in a forum like this? if people post what they believe is their best work, they might not want to hear any body criticizing the images!

Critique? I'd have to say yes - and very harsh critique if appropriate. :lol:

I wouldn't see it like the critique gallery though, as the pic's would be presented as finished works. So maybe opinions on what the photog has done rather than suggestions for improvement - which may well be taken as being patronising in this context.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back