A Local Actor Requested a Couple Headshots

Next payroll I'm going to a local big box hardware store to buy some lights...I'm going to put together a wanna-be kinoflo system (two long and two short) put them together in a rectangle formation (longs parallel on the sides, shorts parallel on the top and bottom) with a 30 degree slant to each and then shoot through the hole in the middle...does anyone have any good ideas or links to a diy "kino flo"?

Continuous lighting does not have enough power for photography.. unless you really have a lot of lights (FL) or go with the HOT lights like Tungsten or Halogen. Why not just drop $180 bucks on a Flashpoint 320, stand / adapter and an umbrella...and do it right? If you are going to do it... and get serious about, going El Cheapo will only be a waste of time in the long run.

Last edited:
That's the thing, I don't know how seriously I would be doing portrait work. I don't want to drop a bunch of money into equipment that may serve as dust stands. Not like $180 is a lot of money but that would be just a start. On the other hand, if I had the proper equipment I may end up making more time and willingness to explore more of that genre of photography. Choices, choices. Aaargh.

Good equipment can always be resold if unused.

I would say either do it right, with the right equipment... or don't do it at all! :) There is not a good happy medium, if you HAVE to shoot in that conference room. Outdoors might be a different story.. but until you have a lot more experience than you do have, using ambient light, reflectors, etc... You are going to have problems turning out a decent shot in that room.

seriously.. even with ONE off camera flash and a reflector you can do a lot. Just make sure you close the blind or stop it down that the ambient doesnt affect it a whole lot.

seriously.. even with ONE off camera flash and a reflector you can do a lot. Just make sure you close the blind or stop it down that the ambient doesnt affect it a whole lot.

I think you would use your shutterpeed to control the ambient here. Or by stop it down did you mean raise the shutterspeed? Well I guess you could use either right?

That's the thing, I don't know how seriously I would be doing portrait work. I don't want to drop a bunch of money into equipment that may serve as dust stands. Not like $180 is a lot of money but that would be just a start. On the other hand, if I had the proper equipment I may end up making more time and willingness to explore more of that genre of photography. Choices, choices. Aaargh.

^^^you'll use OCF for a whole lot in ADDITION to portraiture.

I can make a lot of damn excuses but I know what I have to do. I'm just being stiff-lipped. I'll start seriously investing in some lighting. At least I did pretty well with the DoF. Any softness would be due to the low shutter speed necessary to capture any light and still, as has been mentioned, the photo was under-exposed a tad...I also may have to invest in something to hold the reflector...a four-quart juice pitcher doesn't really work that well...

you can manually set your wb. google expoimagin. They ar e a lil on the high end but you will get a perfect wb every time and then there are ways to go around it. like using a coffee filter instead of the expoimaging filter. either way you can manually set it for your camera and you point it at the main source and then you are ready to shoot. Well, if the light sources are different you might get something different but try it out and see what happens.

A used Vivitar 285hv flash - $50
A Shoot through umbrella - $10 (U33T Adorama 33" Translucent Umbrella)
Umbrella bracket - $15 (781404 Adorama Universal Swivel Holder - Umbrella Bracket with Adjutsable Flash Mount)
A Cheap light stand - $22 (5011 JTL 600 6.5' Lightstand, 3 Section, Black Anodized Base with Chrome Risers.)
Radio trigger - $20 (Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04, 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver: Camera & Photo)

So the total is around $117

Of course, you may select a bigger umbrella, or silver reflective umbrella, better light stand etc. This is just for reference. As for the used Vivitar 285hv flash, $50 is general how much people ask for in my area. (plus or minus)

So I think these should get you started. And it is not too bad as far as price concern. You may find some better or cheaper price out there. If you save $5 a day, you can buy them in less than a month.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't think it's been mentioned, but can you edit out the pixelation of the background? I noticed some points were pixels/sections were sticking out from the blackness, distracting from the subject. (I see it more when adjusting the viewing angle of my monitor- you may have to move your head around to see it better). Just my 2 cents.

Dang, you had the light.. you just put him in the wrong spot. He should have been right next to the window with the window just out of the frame. Look at how much brighter that side of the table is from being close to the light. That way you don't have the light fall off from distance and with the subject closer you have now created a larger light source. Be careful of how you use hair lights on us folks who are not able to grow bangs over our foreheads, in this case the hair light source should most likley come from overhead and behind so it does not hit the natural built in reflector.

Thanks much for the ideas and suggestions. I'll which ones I can implement the soonest. I look forward to continuing to learn and thank you all for pointing me in the correct directions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back