What's new

A Majestic Church

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 23, 2012
Messages
3,160
Reaction score
717
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Garaladin's deviantART Gallery

This is a photo I took of a Church in Richmond, VA. I am new to photography, so please let me know what you think with any questions, comments, and critiques. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • $IMG_8297.webp
    $IMG_8297.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 116
Welcome! It's a nice start but a couple of things could improve it: (1) Shoot in such a way to minimize the number of branches in the shot. They produce a busy, confusing pattern which distracts the eye from the church, and (2) when shooting into the sky this way, consider shooting early in the morning and avoid (if possible) the bright, white clouds which produce blown highlights. Also consider the purchase of a polarizing filter which will increase contrast and saturation as well as produce those deep, blue skies.
 
Welcome! It's a nice start but a couple of things could improve it: (1) Shoot in such a way to minimize the number of branches in the shot. They produce a busy, confusing pattern which distracts the eye from the church, and (2) when shooting into the sky this way, consider shooting early in the morning and avoid (if possible) the bright, white clouds which produce blown highlights. Also consider the purchase of a polarizing filter which will increase contrast and saturation as well as produce those deep, blue skies.

Thank you for the positive criticism. My friend told me to post on forums in order to get better, so I appreciate it. His words were "post on forums and get your pictures torn apart and get told what you don't want to hear," ha, I'm glad you're kinder than that. So having the branches is a bad thing? I thought it made the photo look more interesting, but perhaps since it's titled "A Majestic Church," it should be more focused on the church? Early morning is a good idea, I just happened to take this picture on a walk to Belle Isle in Richmond (I did plan to take pictures though). A polarizing filter, eh? Ha, I use a ultra compact digital camera- a Canon Powershot SD1400 IS, can't really do much with the lens here :/
 
I understand what you were thinking with the branches, I think however that it's just too much of a good thing. You can get special mounting brackets which will allow you to use filters with your P&S camera.
 
I understand what you were thinking with the branches, I think however that it's just too much of a good thing. You can get special mounting brackets which will allow you to use filters with your P&S camera.

Oh I gotcha, I see what you mean! And oh really? Cool, I didn't know that! What are mounting brackets? Sorry, I really am a total noob :/
 
I'm no pro, and I mainly judge photos from the appeal they have to me, or lack therof.

I really like what you were going for with this picture, but in terms of how it looks to my eyes, it didn't turn out as good as it could have. It had lots of potential.
 
I'm no pro, and I mainly judge photos from the appeal they have to me, or lack therof.

I really like what you were going for with this picture, but in terms of how it looks to my eyes, it didn't turn out as good as it could have. It had lots of potential.

Ok, so how could I have done it better?
 
To me, it lacks sharpness and contrast.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt though. I'm just speaking on what appeals to my eye, not from a technical or professional standpoint.

Others will tell you differently.
 
To me, it lacks sharpness and contrast.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt though. I'm just speaking on what appeals to my eye, not from a technical or professional standpoint.

Others will tell you differently.

Could you explain that a little better?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom