What's new

A motorcycle, and the northern lights

Msteelio91

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Apr 4, 2014
Messages
1,284
Reaction score
435
Location
Washington, DC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for some CC on a couple low-light photos...

#1:
Working with limited hardware here: Nikon D7000 with kit Nikkor 18-105 lens, mini-tripod, and a cellphone light haha




#2:
This one is done with the same camera and lens, and an even smaller tripod! I had to lay on the frozen ground to set up the shot :wink:




#3:
Same hardware as #2.




EDIT: I should mention I wanted to show the difference in the hue between the second and third images. The one image has a slightly pinkish hue to it and i'm not sure why.
 
No input? Come on I know you guys are more picky than that haha
 
Beautiful aurora, great color :)
 
Thanks! It was a hell of a show. We were ready to leave for the day when it streaked across the sky out of nowhere. It looked like someone hit the atmosphere with a massive paintbrush.
 
I like the aurora's and I like how you tied the couple into the middle one. The "negative space" makes the photo shine. It has just enough of the aurora and the people. It draws attention to the whole scene, not one or the other and I think that is a good thing in this case. Now, the motorcycle one I think needs some work. It is more of a helmet shot to me than anything. Were you using the pop-up flash or a hotshoe flash? I think if you were using a external unit or hotshoe flash it could bring out a lot more subject matter. I would use say my SB-700, change the angle of the flash to say a 45 degree up with the bounce card out and it might be more of an equal lighting situation. I'm not totally sure since I'm not in your situation doing the test shots but that's what I would try first.
 
Matt, I looked through your other photo's and I like quite a few of them. You're a car guy just like me! I am definitely a Mustang fan as well. The composition on your car shots are pretty good. I'm even going to follow you to see some of them haha.
 
I like the aurora's and I like how you tied the couple into the middle one. The "negative space" makes the photo shine. It has just enough of the aurora and the people. It draws attention to the whole scene, not one or the other and I think that is a good thing in this case. Now, the motorcycle one I think needs some work. It is more of a helmet shot to me than anything. Were you using the pop-up flash or a hotshoe flash? I think if you were using a external unit or hotshoe flash it could bring out a lot more subject matter. I would use say my SB-700, change the angle of the flash to say a 45 degree up with the bounce card out and it might be more of an equal lighting situation. I'm not totally sure since I'm not in your situation doing the test shots but that's what I would try first.

Thanks so much for the compliments on the aurora shot, that's actually my girlfriend and I. I used a remote and we held mighty-still while the shutter was open.

As for the motorcycle shot, you're going to laugh at me for this. I used my cell phone light. I'm limited on hardware so I make due with what I've got. I actually wanted it to focus more of the attention on the helmet and have the "Monster" energy logo as an accent, while the bike was silhouetted against the sky. I do agree though I could have gotten a lot more out of the shot, but I was stuck with an iPhone for a light :(

Matt, I looked through your other photo's and I like quite a few of them. You're a car guy just like me! I am definitely a Mustang fan as well. The composition on your car shots are pretty good. I'm even going to follow you to see some of them haha.

Awesome :) the silver Mustang was mine, in "race trim". I loved that car and miss it now, will probably get another down the road. Thanks for the follow as well, I'll check out your stuff in a bit, posting from work right now :cheers:
 
I totally understand the motorcycle shot now! I bought a flash and since then I can't go back haha.

I used to have a 02 GT as well. Mine was gold with the silver Cobra rims. Was my favorite car. I eventually sold it to fund a long trip to Texas. Although my father and I are still working on his Mustang. He has a 98 Cobra which is pretty sharp. Sadly I don't have any photo's of it that I'm super proud of. It is now in the garage torn apart while we wait on money so I haven't taken any photo's of it in years.

I'm hoping to hit some of the local car show's here soon and get some new photos of awesome cars.
 
Also I saw the specs on the aurora shot and noticed the 25 shutter as well and was very impressed by both of you and the stillness you were able to hold for 25 sec!
 
I totally understand the motorcycle shot now! I bought a flash and since then I can't go back haha.

I used to have a 02 GT as well. Mine was gold with the silver Cobra rims. Was my favorite car. I eventually sold it to fund a long trip to Texas. Although my father and I are still working on his Mustang. He has a 98 Cobra which is pretty sharp. Sadly I don't have any photo's of it that I'm super proud of. It is now in the garage torn apart while we wait on money so I haven't taken any photo's of it in years.

I'm hoping to hit some of the local car show's here soon and get some new photos of awesome cars.

Mine was an 02 GT, 5-speed, what a blast. Hard to beat a Mustang for pure fun factor to cost ratio. V8, 5-speed, RWD with an LSD... I was sideways more times than I can remember. The 98's are solid cars as well, same chassis and all as the 99-04's. A buddy of mine had a 94 GT and I used to give him hand me down's off my car haha. Oh, I also had Cobra rims on my car at one point

DSC_3565.jpg


Also I saw the specs on the aurora shot and noticed the 25 shutter as well and was very impressed by both of you and the stillness you were able to hold for 25 sec!

Haha yeah it wasn't easy that's for sure. The first attempt made us look like ghosts! The real trick was timing it to the aurora though, it's more dynamic than you'd think.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom