Website
www.voodoocat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/main.html

Has some pretty interesting new tools.
Like:

Improved File Browser
Quickly preview, tag, and sort images; search and edit metadata and keywords; and automatically share batches of files from the improved File Browser.

Match Color command
Achieve a consistent look between package shots, fashion photos, and more by instantly matching the color scheme of one image to another.

Histogram palette
Monitor changes to your image in the Histogram palette, which dynamically updates as you make adjustments.

Shadow/Highlight correction
Quickly improve the contrast of over- or underexposed areas of an image while preserving the overall balance of the photo using Shadow/Highlight correction.

Text on a path
Create eye-catching typography by placing text on paths or within shapes. Edit the text at any time, even in Adobe Illustrator software.

Integrated digital camera raw file support
Get truer, higher quality output by working with the complete raw data files from most major digital camera models.

Comprehensive 16-bit support
Perform more precise editing and retouching with expanded support for 16-bit images in core features, including layers, brushes, text, shapes, and more.

Layer Comps
Create design variations for clients more efficiently by saving different combinations of layers within the same file as Layer Comps.

Macromedia® Flash&#8482; (SWF) file export
Use ImageReady CS to create SWF animations, complete with vector artwork and variable text.

Customizable keyboard shortcuts
Customize, save, and print a summary of your ideal set of keyboard shortcuts, so the functions you use most are always at your fingertips.

Here is the flash video

Looks like some great new tools for us photographers.

I hate it when companies do that, like what macromedia did with all their stuff. Makes it so hard to track versions at a glance. I can just see photoshop's future...
- Photoshop 7
- Photoshop CS
- Photoshop 2004+
- Photoshop 4000 Deluxe Edition
- Photoshop Version 18.0
- Photoshop FX-100s
- Photoshop Type R Sports Pack

and so on and so forth :(

voodoocat said:
Integrated digital camera raw file support
Get truer, higher quality output by working with the complete raw data files from most major digital camera models.

I must say tho, that looks quite promising. If it turns out to be any good, I might start shooting in raw mode more often.

I wonder if it will support the files from the Sigma SD9 which shoots only in RAW mode.

Text on a path is wonderful. I hate having to fire up illustrator for only that purpose.

The 16 bit support sounds promising too.

I am trying to understand color depth. We have potoshop elements 2 that came with the film scanner I got my wife. The scanner will produce a 48 bit scan but when you dump it into elements it converts it into 8 bit seriously degrading the picture. So can a hobbyist get by with photoshop elements 4 that does 16 bit ? Do you have to go all the way to the 32 bit in photoshop cs2 ? I thought I could get an old legitimate version of photoshop 6 for 50 bucks and upgrade it but that does not seem to be reasonable. So what color depth do you need for producing a good 8x10 or maybe even an occasionally larger picture ?

holy flashback batman!

I read the first post and thought "didnt they already have some of this stuff?"

Then I saw the date ;)

I am not sure why the colors are being degraded like that, have you tried scanning directly into PS using the import(?) function? I dont have PS in front of me but I think its under import that you can access scanning functions.

Typically 24 bit will give you "true color" but 32 bit is not unheard of.

Cyrus said:
I am trying to understand color depth. We have potoshop elements 2 that came with the film scanner I got my wife. The scanner will produce a 48 bit scan but when you dump it into elements it converts it into 8 bit seriously degrading the picture.

You're getting your numbers a tad confused here... actually what is happening is the sacnner is scanning at 16 bits per color per pixel, meaning 48 bits total per pixel. Since each pixel in an image file is made up of three different color values (Red, Green, and Blue), when something creates a 48 bit file, it means that the file is actually only 16 bits per color (a.k.a. channel) (48 divided by 3 = 16). The 8 bits that photoshop is referring to is the per-channel bit depth, meaning that it would be 24 bits per pixel. You can be certain that 8 is not referring to the per-pixel bit depth because 8 is not divisible by 3, and there is no possible way to have 2.67 bits per channel on a computer. Also, you can be sure that the 48 is not referring to the per-channel value since that would result in a 144 bit-per-pixel image, which would create an excessively and unnecessarily huuuuge image file.

So basically what I'm trying to say it that photoshop is actually only reducing the scan from a 16-bit image to an 8-bit image (if you compare per-channel numbers), or from a 48-bit to a 24-bit image (if you compare per-pixel numbers). This is actually not a drastic recuction in image quality. In fact it is not even noticeable on your computer monitor, since the monitor can only really display more or less the colors found in an 8-bit image. Essentially the only use for 16-bit images is if you need to adjust the photos a lot in photoshop, because that way the data in the file is being more accurately preserved than it would be with 8 bits, since it is working with larger numbers and is not having to round off as much when it performs mathematical operations on the color values in the image file. The existence of 32-bit-per-channel image files is similarly for the purpose of having a high dynamic range contained in the image file, so that there is no loss of quality when performing many different adjustments to a photo. This way, you can adjust for example the exposure and levels and still maintain detail in the highlights and shadows as you work, instead of losing that detail due to mathematical rounding in a lower-bit image. But in order to use 32-bit files, you need a source that can produce such high bit-depth files, which you most likely do not.

So long story short: no, you don't really need much more than an image editor that can work with 8 bits per channel. Sometimes I suppose working with 16 bit images can be useful, for example when you know you will have to fiddle with the exposure on an image a lot. And 32-bit images should rarely ever be needed for most people. So photoshop elements 2 should be fine for most work.

Cyrus said:
So what color depth do you need for producing a good 8x10 or maybe even an occasionally larger picture ?
Also... color depth has nothing to do with enlargement size. Color depth is not the same thing as resolution. Resolution refers to the total number of pixels in an image, and is what affects the quality of the image at different print sizes. Color depth refers to the number of different colors that can be recorded per pixel of an image file. For example, in an 8-bit file, any given pixel will contain a color value of one of 16,777,216 possible colors, while in a 16-bit file a pixel will contain one of 281,474,976,710,000 different colors. (This might seem like a large difference, but in fact the human eye can only distinguish between something like 16 million colors, making an 8-bit file adequate for most purposes).

nukie said:
I hate it when companies do that, like what macromedia did with all their stuff. Makes it so hard to track versions at a glance. I can just see photoshop's future...
- Photoshop 7
- Photoshop CS
- Photoshop 2004+
- Photoshop 4000 Deluxe Edition
- Photoshop Version 18.0
- Photoshop FX-100s
- Photoshop Type R Sports Pack

and so on and so forth :(
That is incredible! I want type R. But put it in a smaller car...err box.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Thank you for the info, I am still alittle uncertian but improving. I bought my wife a Nikon Coolscan V film scanner that produces a 4000dpi image. The confusing part comes in where you can view the image in 24 or 48 bit. When I took a file and put it in PSE2 it changed the file to 8 bit. Maybe something else was wrong because when I saw the two pictures; one in the nikon view and the other in PSE2 their was a difference. I guess what I really need to know is what editing program I need to get for my wife ? She is in a camera club and has advanced to the point that she is no longer is competative having 8x10s made at the drug store. I am thinking that I need to find a legimate photoshop 7 that can be upgraded to cs2 if she gets super serious and not another photoshop elements(which by the way came with the scanner). Right now she takes her pictures with either a N65 or 75.

Most reactions

Back