What's new

A New Puppy and a New 6D

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
5,014
Reaction score
1,968
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The first official photo of my new puppy with my new Canon 6D. I'm frothing at the mouth with excitement tonight...figuratively speaking.

Canon 6D

85mm
f/1.8
1/50
ISO 12,800


New Puppy! by texasrexbobcat, on Flickr
 
I was going to mention all the noise, but then I saw that this was shot at ISO 10000 – wow, that's great performance!

I know that some resident experts have denied this, but in my experience bokeh is not necessarily pleasing when shooting at high ISOs. You can tell in your image that the noise is virtually non-existent in the areas in focus, but pretty apparent elsewhere. Not a knock on your camera or photo at all – just pointing out a fact of life :)
 
nice shot. pups dreamin.. Let the chewing begin....ED
 
invisible said:
I was going to mention all the noise, but then I saw that this was shot at ISO 10000 – wow, that's great performance!

I know that some resident experts have denied this, but in my experience bokeh is not necessarily pleasing when shooting at high ISOs. You can tell in your image that the noise is virtually non-existent in the areas in focus, but pretty apparent elsewhere. Not a knock on your camera or photo at all – just pointing out a fact of life :)

And I upped the exposure by half a stop in PS too, so that kind of amplified the noise a bit. I think the noise in the original RAW file isn't so pronounced.

Yeah, I don't generally enjoy noisy areas of very little detail because it's just THAT MUCH noticeable. This was mostly a test just to see what that ridiculously high ISO looks like in the real world.

Plus I didn't want to have to get a tripod set up lol
 
thetrue said:
You've failed to add it to your signature...just saying :)

Damn. I should really get on that, so that people know that I'm a "real" photographer and not one of those posers.

Should I make it into a flashing, glittery GIF?
 
The first official photo of my new puppy with my new Canon 6D. I'm frothing at the mouth with excitement tonight...figuratively speaking.

Canon 6D

85mm
f/1.8
1/50
ISO 12,800


New Puppy! by texasrexbobcat, on Flickr
Congratulations, I knew you were a smart one making smart choices! :) You'll be loving the 6D, I am.
 
Love the ability of the ISO and it is a cute puppy but it needs a crop, a bit more DoF and a level ground...can't forget your roots even if you have a new toy. Not sure what signature you should have but I am sure it needs to be BIG and fill the frame.
 
tried some noise reduction on it. maybe a little too soft. thought I would give it a try anyway. :wink:

View attachment 33081
 
laynea24 said:
What a cutie! What breed?

It's a Labrador/German Shepherd, or at least that's what the person we it the puppy from said lol
 
ceeboy14 said:
Love the ability of the ISO and it is a cute puppy but it needs a crop, a bit more DoF and a level ground...can't forget your roots even if you have a new toy. Not sure what signature you should have but I am sure it needs to be BIG and fill the frame.

I know it needs more DoF - I was just under our table so it was handheld. As close as I was I think it would have required like f/4 to have a suitable DoF, which would have made my shutter speed abysmal when trying to hand hold it.

I also kind of wanted to see just how shallow I could get the DoF lol
 
ceeboy14 said:
Love the ability of the ISO and it is a cute puppy but it needs a crop, a bit more DoF and a level ground...can't forget your roots even if you have a new toy. Not sure what signature you should have but I am sure it needs to be BIG and fill the frame.

I also kind of wanted to see just how shallow I could get the DoF lol

Well, you succeeded on this point. :mrgreen: It's a good shot with a new toy. Keep up the good work. You would be a student I would have taken great joy of having in a class.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom