a nikon glass question!

dukeboy1977

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, so I have a Nikon D40 w/ battery grip and 3 batteries so I've spent a little money to have what I do. My question is more about glass than anything really. My problem lies in my availability of focal length...I have an 18-55mm and a 55-200mm and it's a little time consuming to change lenses over and over depending on what I'm photographing. I'd really like to have an all-in-one lens like an 18-105mm or an 18-200mm so I'm not changing lenses to get "the shot" I need in time to get it. Would you buy a new body WITH a lens like this, or would you just "focus" (lol) on a lens like that and KEEP the Nikon D40 body? I've been reading some negative reviews or seeing some negative "talk" about the Nikon D40 lately, mostly due to its 6.1mp sensor. Is my camera still a good one or has that changed? I'll be on for a couple of minutes so plz. gimme your opinion. Thanks, Jeff

IF I DO commit to buying an all-in-one lens like mentioned above, I'll be looking to sell what glass I have now if anyone wants it. Yes, it's in good shape! NO problems I can notice at all!

Image quality may not be as good with lenses that try to cover a wide range of focal lengths like the 18-200mm. That's just what I've learned from hanging around here.

As far as whether your camera is good or not -- does it take pictures? Do you find yourself limited by the iso range? Do you want features that the camera does not have?

As far as whether your camera is good or not -- does it take pictures? Do you find yourself limited by the iso range? Do you want features that the camera does not have?

YES it takes pictures. lol I feel the ISO range is a little limiting for better quality photos, yes. I have yet to exhaust every feature this body has, so I guess not. I'd like higher MP's without video though if possible, because to me what good is a CAMERA with video? That's what video cameras are for! Overall I'm happy with my D40 but I know there is better out there, so I'm going to not be completely happy until I get the best I can afford I guess...or maybe I already have that since I have 2 kids? lmao

Ok, well, the aperture on the 18-200mm will probably be 3.5-5.6, which means that it is not good for low light. You'll be stuck shooting f/5.6 at the 200mm end, and 3.5 at 18mm.

That is, unless you have lots of $$$ for the lenses with wider aperture capability.

There isn't an all-in-one option, a good one at least, without some compromise, either from the gear or your wallet.

Well started out with the D40 when I started. First thing was the kit lenses. They are slow being variable f-stop lens. So upgraded to the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and speed and Image IQ went up quite a bit. And usability indoors and lower light also went up.

Then within 9 months started being frustrated with lack of features and controls and move up finally to a D90. Better camera to grow in. And amazon just dropped the price to $799 for body. And extends the range with great images at 3200 iso.

That being said I consider photography a craft. And a craft needs the right tools for the right job. Yes I can do a bit with an all in one Leatherman tool but wouldn't want to rely on it for everything.

And that means dedicated lenses depending on the need and style of the photographer. In my opinion the all-in-one don't cut it. They are slower and Image IQ is nice but not outstanding. What's the point of an all-in-one if it is too slow to AF and capture the image in questionable light or not being able to use indoor situations?

It's great if you are going to be in good light all the time for convenience like for travel. But personally I just don't get what the big thing is about changing lenses. Takes a whole 10-20 seconds. And with a bit forethought can anticipate what will be needed ahead of time. Yes you can miss a shot or two changing lenses. But on a walkabout thru real world situations I'll put my fast f2.8 zoom's against anyone's all in one. And let's see who has more keepers and got the shots. Especially trying to capture children!

Here's my $0.02. The last 12 words may answer it for you! Only you can answer how much you can afford. The 18-105 lens is a nice lens and cheap but will not give you anything in the way of different focal length or faster shutter speed. It will give you the ability to not have to change lenses all the time. For low light you do have a good flash unit and a 35mm prime lens if you don't want to use flash. I don't know if your 2 zoom lenses will get very much money on the used market if you decide to sell either of them or both to get another lens.

Quality photos come from low ISOs and the photographer, if you do need to up the ISO for any reason and it is too grainy use one of the noise reduction software that's out there.Technology is constantly moving forward so there will always be something better out there!

YES it takes pictures. lol I feel the ISO range is a little limiting for better quality photos, yes. I have yet to exhaust every feature this body has, so I guess not. I'd like higher MP's without video though if possible, because to me what good is a CAMERA with video? That's what video cameras are for! Overall I'm happy with my D40 but I know there is better out there, so I'm going to not be completely happy until I get the best I can afford I guess...or maybe I already have that since I have 2 kids? lmao

Ok, my opinion on that matter is, if you really don't care much about little distortion and vignetting you could try a TAMRON 18-200 or 18-270 less expensive or a NIKON 18-200 more money but with more quality. But overall, to improve your photographs you should really consider before buy a new lens, go ahead and buy a good flash like SB-600 or even better SB-800, SB-900... Learn to bounce the light or use a off camera flash. At youtube you can find a lot of tutorials and video classes on this subject..
Have fun and shoot a lot.

But overall, to improve your photographs you should really consider before buy a new lens, go ahead and buy a good flash like SB-600

lol I'm not sure HOW you missed my big bold signature saying I have an SB600 flash...lol I'm just pokin' fun man!

Quality photos come from low ISOs and the photographer, if you do need to up the ISO for any reason and it is too grainy use one of the noise reduction software that's out there.Technology is constantly moving forward so there will always be something better out there!

Is there a certain noise reduction software you'd recommend? I'd like to use it to save a couple of pics I had taken a little while ago of a gorgeous young lady for her mother

yesterday i happened to be involved in a shoot and saw some final printed images from several photographers using the tamron 15-270. I was surprised how sharp they were, and the prints happened to be 2x2 feet square.

there is a rebate plan for tamron lenses will help in lowering the price.

I don't have a professional relationship with Tamron, just passing on my personal obversations. I went to this venue as many of my students always ask about "which" lens and felt i needed better and more intimate infomration to provide an honest answer.

To achieve superzoom, 11x up to 15x range, lens designers must compound design compromise after design compromise to come up with a workable lens.

I do not have experience with the Sigma or Tamron superzooms.

At 18 mm, the Nikon 18-200 has some of the most complex barrel distortion ever seen in a Nikon lens. It is virtually unfixable in post processing, particularly in the corners. The barrel distortion does improve as you zoom to longer focal lengths. At about 35 mm the barrel distortion changes to pin cushion distortion. Focus softens from 180mm to 200 mm.

In other words the 18-200mm is decent from 35mm to 180mm, and is considered by many to be the worst value in Nikon's lens lineup today.

If the convenience of not changing lenses is more important to you than image quality, and you don't shoot for clients, definately get a superzoom. :thumbup:

An alternative is to get a second or even a third camera body so you can always have multiple lenses mounted, a tactic many pro shooters use. You then also have the added benefit of having backup camera bodies.

I've downloaded and used the free trial version from Neat software and it does clean up grain. Not sure it's the best but it worked for me and I'm cheap and it's free, LOL! There are others out there and I believe there were recent posts about them.

Is there a certain noise reduction software you'd recommend? I'd like to use it to save a couple of pics I had taken a little while ago of a gorgeous young lady for her mother

Most reactions

Back