DSLR kept on for more than 20 hours

evelynlsy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

I'm super beginner to photography and I just bought a new DSLR two weeks ago. I brought it out for a photo shoot yesterday till the battery went almost flat and I forgot to turn the camera off for the whole night till this noon, which I took off the battery without realising that my camera was still on until after I put the battery back. May I know will it cause any problem to my camera? I tried shooting it again after that, and it didn't sound right. I wonder would it that I'm overreacting or there's actually a problem to the camera.

Please help!!

Thank you and have a good day!

The camera would have slipped into powersave mode so left on all night wouldn't have been a problem in itself. Removing the battery whilst the power is still on will (in my understanding and experience) only cause you a problem if the camera is in the act of taking a shot or saving data to the memory card (the little red light is blinking to show data transfer). Even in those cases the worst is that you'll get a corrupt save on your memory card - it shouldn't damage the internals of the camera body.

Thus I can't imagine that there is any lasting damage to the camera after this since the camera wasn't taking a shot nor in the process of saving. Its not something I'd advise doing clearly but your camera should be ok

Nope not for me. On my D40,D80,D90 and D200 I leave camera always On!.
Been that way for 3yrs for me and no problems. And doesn't drain the batteries.

I suspect that one of the buttons was being pressed when in bag?
Meaning lens trying to AF in dark,Viewfinder metering,etc... which would drain the battery.

Funny sounds from camera? or lens? as if lens was in bag and trying to focus with friction applied to sides of it may caused some problems to the lens.

Just guessing here. But assure you there is no draining battery leaving it On. Unless some outside force is applying pressure to one of the buttons.

Nope not for me. On my D40,D80,D90 and D200 I leave camera always On!.

I know the camera goes into power mode, but I'd never be able to do that.. I'd be worried about something happening too much.

Thanks a mil, everyone!! Now, I can relax a little... Hehehe....

Removing the battery whilst the power is still on will (in my understanding and experience) only cause you a problem if the camera is in the act of taking a shot or saving data to the memory card (the little red light is blinking to show data transfer).
Removing the battery when the camera's power switch is still in the on position, can result in capactive discharge. Capacitive discharge can, and does, damage electronic circuitry.

By the same token (and for the same reason), power must also be switched off - to change lenses or memory cards.

Removing the battery whilst the power is still on will (in my understanding and experience) only cause you a problem if the camera is in the act of taking a shot or saving data to the memory card (the little red light is blinking to show data transfer).
Removing the battery when the camera's power switch is still in the on position, can result in capactive discharge. Capacitive discharge can, and does, damage electronic circuitry.

By the same token (and for the same reason), power must also be switched off - to change lenses or memory cards.

I've never heard of damage from removing the lens whilst the camera is still turned on - I know some say that its dangerous as far as dust is concerned because the charged sensor assembly might attract more dust to itself during the removal - but otherwise not heard of any adverse effects. Even canon shooters who use this method to trick the lens aperture blades to remain shut (mostly for macro photography where they are losing lens control such as reversed lenses and cheap tubes or bellows) have never reported of problems with the camera body.

I agree that memory cards should only be removed when the camera is turned off but then in that case its more to protect the content of the card and prevent corruption of the data.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back