A pain in my..er..DPI

esszeeeye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Have asked this question in other places,no really good answers,yet..but just see what y'all can pull out of the hat.

I use a Sony H-9,my first camera.;)

I shoot my friends and family,a World music group.:D

A disc of my live music shots is offered to event organizers for promotional purposes.Unedited:confused:

Group manager asks me.."Your photos are not really high enough definition...can you improve on that?:grumpy:

I say,'I'll try" and Google myself into insanity for a week.:lmao:

results-

No 'Fine" setting on the photo menus that I can find-I use the largest setting,8MB,it comes in @ 72 D.P.I.

No editing can be used to sharpen,or other programs like,"Neat Image"
by request of my "Boss"

A photographer tells me"Its their problem,not yours".:(

As I have a 8.1 Mpix camera,with a 5 Mpix sensor,and images can be soft,especially if using the zoom,as have to stay out of the way of "The Pros" :sexywink:

Looking @ the Canon rebel XSi,seems like a better idea,if they want to blow me up REAL BIG :lol:

Requested a new DSLR from "The Boss" :wink: he is working on it.

But can I do better with what I've got ?

The DPI (or better PPI) which comes with the image is meaninless.
DPI and PPI refer to print sizes and display sizes respectively. So if you print or display larger, the DPI and PPI will get smaller, and the other way round.

All which counts is the pixel-times-pixel resolution, and the optical resolution of your system.

Maybe you also use the non-optical zoom? never do that, it is the best way to degrade image quality. It is basically the same as if you cropped an image later on the computer and blew it up then (upscaling).

8mpix is always 8mpix regardless what the dpi meta information says in the file. Just open the files in photoshop, change the resolution to 300dpi without adding or removing any pixels and resave them. That manager will probably be satisfied even though you actually haven't done anything to the photos. This is my guess based on an earlier encounter I had with a customer who was unhappy with the resolution of the photos I delivered. They were also 8mpix and meta said 72dpi. I exported once again from LightRoom setting the dpi information to 300 leaving the rest unchanged and the customer was delighted...

This is my guess based on an earlier encounter I had with a customer who was unhappy with the resolution of the photos I delivered. They were also 8mpix and meta said 72dpi. I exported once again from LightRoom setting the dpi information to 300 leaving the rest unchanged and the customer was delighted...

Sometimes I wonder if this world really deserves good photos ... or should we all just quit photography since it is not appreciated by many customers anyway :lmao:

Will try that,thanks,Atropine.

Alex B,appreciate the time you took to answer,it sent me off to define your terms,
is the optical resolution the advertised 8.1 Mpix,or the sensor size,which I was told is only 5 Mpix ?

I do use the zoom a lot,but unsure at what point it becomes non-optical.

Off to do more research.

Oh,and an example-

This shot has been very popular with event organizers,looks a bit rough close-up,
ie standing next to it,
but pretty good across the street,billboard size.

Mostafa-Poster-1.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back