Difference in Polarizer filters

HoboSyke

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, just wondering what is the difference in these polarizer filters?

Hoya Standard Circular Polarising Filter - 77mm which is AU$88 and the Hoya Pro1D Circular Polarising Filter - 77mm which is AU$239 ????

Thanks..

I do not know much about Hoya, but maybe the coatings?

Also there are different ways to construct a polariser.

A Mercedes 4 door sedan is $50,000 and a Kia 4 door sedan is $20,000. :er:

Cars are so incredibly cheap over there ...

the glass and the coating. The objective is to have minimal glass between you and your subject, so why add crappy glass? Mind you if you aren't using pro series lenses you probably won't notice the difference.

It amazes me how many pros and serious amateurs will pay an extra $150 to $200 for fancy multicoatings, but can't be bothered to use their lens hood, which probably increases image quality more.

It amazes me how many pros and serious amateurs will pay an extra $150 to $200 for fancy multicoatings, but can't be bothered to use their lens hood, which probably increases image quality more.

I am sorry, but a polariser does things completely different from a lens hood. hence the two cannot be compared.

IF I use a polariser, I do want to minimise stray reflections, in particular those coming from lights sources in the scene/frame, and I want a tough easy to clean filter surface, and both require good coatings, not a lens hood.

Thanks guys, well im shooting with L lenses on the canon system. And I already use hoya pro1 UV filters. So i'll just get the more expensive one I guess..

I wonder if what K.S. Matt Fish meant was that the differences are probably only to do with flare, scatter, and internal reflections - most of which a lens-hood will also very often prevent?

And that does happen to be true. Besides the actual flare elements however, almost all flare and scatter can be removed in post very simply and without any observable degradation to the image quality. In fact almost all of it is removed just by the typical Levels and Brightness/Contrast adjustments that most of us do to almost every image anyway.

There may be some differences - indeed I believe there are but I would never pay over $100 for a polarizer and I would be questioning my own sanity at anything much or $50.00 even if I were this ultra-pro who got $5,000 a shot just for being the one to press the shutter and had all the highest grade lenses available at any price.

Last edited:
Also Hoya (whos glass I've been told on many many occasions is identical to and made by Kenko) is always like 2 and 3 times the price of Kenko brand filters.

Hoya AC #4 CloseUp Filter $190
Kenko AC #4 CloseUp Filter $24
Reselts == IDENTICAL,
Construction == IDENTICAL,
Even the printing is identical except for the letters "HOYA" instead of "Kenko".

Hoya Pro 1D Circular Polarizer $240
Kenko Pro 1D Circular Polarizer $60
Construction == Identical
Results == Identical (assumed)
Even the printing is identical except for the letters "HOYA" instead of "Kenko".

Last edited:
Yeah, that could be. I don't honestly know which one makes it nor where. But every time I ask for Hoya the salesman or distributor is some cases, tells me that they are the same company sharing the same parts and that Kenko is the Japanese/Asia end of it and the HOYA is the Euro/American end of it. I think maybe some stuff in made in US under HOYA and some in Japan under the name Kenko. Doesn't Kenko make cameras, light meters and such too?

http://www.adorama.com/KNKCM3100.html
http://www.adorama.com/KNKFM1100.html

Last edited:
That sounds right. Hoya brand is "supposed" to not be distributed or sold in Japan/Asia though (even though it is anyway) and I think it's supposed to be the same for Kenko in the Euro/US.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back