A Paralympic experience

Last edited:
No but I would use a variable nd filter.

So basically you don't have a clue, but had to offer another piece of useless advice. The first bunch of frames were shot under heavy overcast, the last ones, obviously were shot in bright sunlight.

??? Explain... As for right know I feel like u have no idea what u r babbling about.

Well google search what a variable ND filter does and get back to me.

i know what it does and I still have no idea how that will help Scott.
Actually I think he means a GRADUATED ND filter (since a VARIABLE ND filter would be utterly useless in this situation). But since I don't profess to be a professional what do I know?

Here are a couple more shots.

The press centre at the alpine venue, basically a tent, with work stations and a small cafeteria. They also hold the post race press conferences.

This is a shot of a friend of mine from Australia, the view as we walk back down from shooting skiing today.

Even graduated filter is useless for this. The skier top body will have different exposure vs bottom body. What would that do? I think Brian90k just wants to be critical.

I have to say that this whole trip started off with some difficulties but it has ended up being a great experience. I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in 14 years and we ended up working together, he's one of the best sports photographers I know, from Australia. I met quite a few photographers from all over, some spoke English, most just a little bit, but we all managed to get along, there was, as usually is professional courtesy, before anyone moves they look behind to make sure they aren't getting in any ones way. There was only one photographer that continued to get in front of everyone, he was always oblivious to the everything around him, he was warned several times, but it made no difference, language wasn't an issue as he was from the States. He just didn't figure it out.

The issues with the venues were all sorted out. Alpine was difficult at first as the photo chief didn't offer any help at all, he just said no, that changed one evening in a bar when my friend from the Australian Paralympic Committee sat down with some of the course officials and explained the situation, the next day the photo chief became very helpful, and all was good. Sometimes all it takes is a few beers with the right people.

As I mentioned this was the first event like this that I have covered using digital and it certainly was different. A lot of film used a lot was wasted, but not nearly the numbers of images that will have been deleted. I stood next to so many trigger happy individuals that will have outshot me in numbers by a 100 to 1, and yet I would imagine they will have only kept a couple frames. There was no thinking involved with so many, they were just using $15,000 point and shoot cameras, but to each his own, they still had to edit everything. A couple of the agencies similar to Getty were camera hard wired because there are times when you just need to get 5000 of the same image out to the world instantly.

Once I've had a chance to go through everything, I'll post my favourite images. I'm here for another day so I can wander around and play tourist.

Even graduated filter is useless for this. The skier top body will have different exposure vs bottom body. What would that do? I think Brian90k just wants to be critical.
Yup, I realize that. However a variable ND would do nothing except lower the entire exposure which the OP could have done with camera settings had he chosen to.

Scott, your shots are excellent. Very well done in my opinion. Keep doing things the way you are, obviously it's working for you.

Scott, thank you for sharing your shots and the experience. Please don't let the background internet static discourage you - there are plenty of us who appreciate your giving us a window onto what a professional photographer has to work with.

I know that there are people on the forum that don't share the views that I have and that's fine, we all have our own opinions. We have to respect that. Honestly over the past two weeks I've struggled with a back issue that limited my being able to walk or climb very well(not good when the job involves mountains), it wasn't until yesterday that it finally settled down. I was hired to do a job, and I can't call in sick and say "my back hurts. I have to take a couple of days off" There are no substitues in my business. I can't use any meds, so I work through it. As a professional if I hope to be able to work for the same client again, I have to produce everyday. My client was aware of my back problem, and gave me a morning off, but I still ended up on the mountain that afternoon, but it was something that I appreciated. If I didn't respect my job, and my client, getting a small break like that wouldn't have happened. I was asked if I needed the Canadian team physiotherapist and yes I could have used one, but they are here for the athletes, although I came close to calling one night.

Working as a full time professional really sucks sometimes, and in spite of everything, I enjoy everyday that I'm working. I don't know too many other people that can say that, especially the Russian bus drivers, I think they invented depressed.

Try using one then get back to me and let me know your thoughts.

Yup, I realize that. However a variable ND would do nothing except lower the entire exposure which the OP could have done with camera settings had he chosen to. Scott, your shots are excellent. Very well done in my opinion. Keep doing things the way you are, obviously it's working for you.

It would change the lighting in his favor to eliminate the over exposed snow. Use one and get back to me.

It would change the lighting in his favor to eliminate the over exposed snow. Use one and get back to me.
What, exactly, would it do that simply increasing shutter speed wouldn't do? Think about it and get back to me.

I know that there are people on the forum that don't share the views that I have and that's fine, we all have our own opinions. We have to respect that. Honestly over the past two weeks I've struggled with a back issue that limited my being able to walk or climb very well(not good when the job involves mountains), it wasn't until yesterday that it finally settled down. I was hired to do a job, and I can't call in sick and say "my back hurts. I have to take a couple of days off" There are no substitues in my business. I can't use any meds, so I work through it. As a professional if I hope to be able to work for the same client again, I have to produce everyday. My client was aware of my back problem, and gave me a morning off, but I still ended up on the mountain that afternoon, but it was something that I appreciated. If I didn't respect my job, and my client, getting a small break like that wouldn't have happened. I was asked if I needed the Canadian team physiotherapist and yes I could have used one, but they are here for the athletes, although I came close to calling one night. Working as a full time professional really sucks sometimes, and in spite of everything, I enjoy everyday that I'm working. I don't know too many other people that can say that, especially the Russian bus drivers, I think they invented depressed.

Great job way to grind through.

Most reactions

Back