A Paralympic experience

What, exactly, would it do that simply increasing shutter speed wouldn't do? Think about it and get back to me.

I'm not getting into a discussion about it. Use one and you'll see.

I'm not getting into a discussion about it. Use one and you'll see.
I have one and use it frequently. I also have a graduated neutral density filter so I'm well aware of the difference.

My question stands.

PM me

I'm not ruining this thread

Soooo, would Scott use a 52mm drop-in graduated ND filter? Or should he gaffer tape a big 122mm square one on the front of his 300/2.8's lens hood? Which would you recommend, Brian?

I must say that sports isn't my area of interest (spent years trying my best to avoid it at all costs ;)) but its been great to read some of the background to working such an event; especially such a major and rare event. I hope we can expect to hear more from this event and others as you cover them; seeing "behind the scenes" and hearing too what goes on is, to me, part of photography and a joy to have on forums. All too often we focus on just the picture and we forget the story that builds up to that single frame and the events that surround it.

For any reading who are now confused on the matter (and honestly I don't want to put this in but I feel someone has to say something sane on the matter for those reading this thread who might be far newer to photography than others).

A neutral density filter is used to reduce the amount of light reaching the camera sensor. Typically they are built so that they will block a specific number of stops of light from entering the lens; this creates the effect of appearing to be shooting in darker conditions than the photographer is actually present in. They are great for allowing a slower shutter speed when aperture and ISO can no longer be adjusted (either because they've reached their limits or creative limitations by the nature of the shot the photographer want). A few common examples would be their use in getting smooth water effects at seascapes, waterfalls and rivers - where the reduced light allows for much longer exposures which smooths out the water.

In the situation of a person skiing on a slope the ND filter would be of no use in balancing the exposure between the skier and the snow because the filter reduces the exposure over the whole of the scene. As a result the dynamic range (range in brightness between the darkest and lightest sources) remains identical. Thus its only effect would be to require a higher ISO/Wider aperture/smaller shutter speed to get a properly exposed shot. The relative exposures of the snow and the skier would remain identical.

And that's the end of the matter - if you've further questions on this drop me a pm or start a thread up to ask for further clarification.

Maybe he meant ND filters for Scott's eyes (AKA a pair of Oakleys). That will certainly be helpful.

Thank you mods!! jeez... and I've been a teacher (although haven't done classroom teaching in a long time), the related comment seemed spot on to me in this case anyway.

Don't know if anyone else saw the closing ceremonies or if you got any pictures of that Scott; I didn't watch all of it but liked the Kandinsky inspired performance and the part with Tetris (Game Over!) and Led Zeppelin. Curling final Saturday was fun to watch, the Team Canada skip finally got to smile! There was a curling sheet at the ice arena where I went to college and sometimes would watch that before hockey games, interesting to see the strategies they use to position stones and knock opposing ones off the target etc.

Look forward to getting to see more photos of the Paralympics.

I didn't shoot the closing ceremony, the other photographer that was working for the Canadian Team that was shooting the wheelchair curling and sledge hockey shot closing. Once I go through everything, all the edits, toss the junk, and attach ID's to everything I'll post a final number of photos I kept,(I'll try and keep tabs on how many I shot and what I kept) and post my favourites.

Is it always the same guy?

At the Alpine venue it was. This happened everywhere, in the end we just came to expect it. It's one of those situations that you can't avoid regardless of the photo position you end up in, and you can't work around it, so just accept it.

Well, you ARE professional about it. I'd be tempted to be less diplomatic. Especially if it's the same idiot over and over again.

At most major events photographers aren't consulted about where TV is going to be setting their cameras up, we find out when we arrive where the fixed cameras are, but the roving cameras are just that, running all over looking for that in your face type shots that could still be done from further back, but TV pays the rights money to be there. Some camera guys are better than others and will try and work with the photographers, others will be just the opposite and that's when there are problems. In the end there is still very little that ever gets changed.

At most major events photographers aren't consulted about where TV is going to be setting their cameras up, we find out when we arrive where the fixed cameras are, but the roving cameras are just that, running all over looking for that in your face type shots that could still be done from further back, but TV pays the rights money to be there. Some camera guys are better than others and will try and work with the photographers, others will be just the opposite and that's when there are problems. In the end there is still very little that ever gets changed.
You and another still shooter... 100' of clear, 100# test, 12" above the snow... just sayin'!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back