a photo for C&C

florenceinitaly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
22063_676518315937_122612132_40401531_7271443_n.jpg

The picture is of a set of metal mixing bowls with a (slightly scratched) apricot in the middle - is the reflection of the apricot in the last bowl too distracting?

Can someone explain to me how I can just isolate the apricot in the middle to be in color then turn everything else B&W? Is this a technique that can be done in photoshop?

I like the picture as it is. the technique you describe is called selective colouring. Rather than me give a half pie description of how to do it in photoshop, just search youtube or google for a tutorial, there are heaps out there, and also more than one way to do it.

ahh thanks, the name of the technique is enough for me to go and find out more myself. Do you think that should be applied to this picture or is it fine the way it is? There isn't a lot of colors to begin with...

Well, I guess it depends. I kinda like the orange relfections in the bowls, and if you do selective colouring you would have to choose to keep this or not, and TBH I think it would look strange if you left the refletions in orange too. In which case, the selective colouring would be taking away from the photo rather than adding to it. But hey, give it a shot it might look good and there's nothign wrong with doing it just to learn the technique.

I wont give any C&C as I generally don't like or do any still life and therefore feel unworthy to give such feedback, nonetheless I think the composition is very good and the set-up is quite original.
To my next point.....Selective colour can easily be done in PS, with the use of layer masks there are many ways you can do this, here are a few but trust me theres probably thousands....
1: if you have cs3 or above you can use the B&W adjustment layer and with a black brush paint over the bits you want in colour.

2: add a new (blank) layer and set it's blending mode to saturation. Then with either a black or white brush paint the areas you want to be in B&W

3: if you dont know how to use masks you can do the following but i don't recomend it as its time consuming, finiky, and it leaves very little room for error. Process your image in B&W and colour and save both versions. Then place your B&W image over the colour version and use the eraser tool to unveil the colour underneath or vice versa.

In bocca al lupo, in culo alla balena, and in case you aren't italian best of luck to you ;)

Well, I guess it depends. I kinda like the orange relfections in the bowls, and if you do selective colouring you would have to choose to keep this or not, and TBH I think it would look strange if you left the refletions in orange too. In which case, the selective colouring would be taking away from the photo rather than adding to it. But hey, give it a shot it might look good and there's nothign wrong with doing it just to learn the technique.
+1 :thumbup:

I like this shot. Kudos to you for using your noodle and finding interesting things around the house to shoot.

I too say nay to selective coloring this. To me, the reflection is what makes it. If you think about it, you already have selective color here. The bowls already look B&W.

Take this further. Different things in the bowl, in different places and playing with that reflection.

cool shot. i tried some selective coloring and was going to post it... honestly, it makes the image look real flat. i think its much better like it is! :thumbup:

hmm interesting, thanks for the brief explanation Dreali - my photoshop skills are currently non-existent to the point where I dont' know what a layer is LOL, but that is something I intend to sort out soon =P

I know i said only one picture for C&C...but I"m really curious to know waht these two images invoke from you guys!

22063_676518290987_122612132_40401527_6235731_n.jpg

22063_676518300967_122612132_40401529_7996788_n.jpg

and of course how these two compare with the first one :)

#2 is a pretty cool idea but the fruit is out of focus and I think it may look better if you took it at a slightly lower angle. I'm not a fan of #3..... so far the first one is a definite winner...

Most reactions

Back