A photographer's vent...

I hear ya Jeane!

Thats why I finally started shooting with stock agencys, George Hall/Code Red & Getty images . With the subject matter I shoot ( Weather) I don't have to deal with people . :lmao:

1. you the photographer try to get as much as you possibly can for your work
2. the consumer (your client) try to pay as little as possible to get as much as possible

If your consumer think you are charging too much and you are not willing to drop your price, they are free to go elsewhere.

If the consumer find others similarly priced, or higher, they will probably come back to you.

If you do not get many clients, you may want to revisit your pricing structure.

Not sure where is the problem.

You are preaching to the choir so to speak. We have all dealt with that kind of pain in one form or another. Simply grin and bear it or become a dentist. Photography is not for everyone and we all know the last thing this industry needs is a pissed off retail photographer.

Love & Bass

I read everything and, even-though-you-probably-arleady-know-what-to-do, here is my suggestion:

*Raise your prices
*Only do photoshop as an add-on
*Learn to tell people to screw off
*Tell friends you can't and if they get mad explain why

Nice story though thanks for the good read =]

hmm I don't agree with you on two points Illegal:

1) Only do photoshop as an add-on :: can't see this working well at all. The average person knows that photos can be edited and that most have to be edited to look any good. Saying that its an add-on also makes it sound like you are splitting the real overall cost into two parts as if you are not confident in your own price being what it is. Editing is part of the process and should be factored into shoots - only increasing at times when (telling them in advance or them telling you) that something extra needs to be done to a shot or series of shots that is a big change to your usual workflow

2) Learn to tell people to screw off: ok I get where you are comming from in this (I think) and its a fine balancing act to deal with. One the one hand you are a professional who knows their subject and who is being paid to deliver a result and at times the customer will ask for things that are either impossible to do right or asks for something that you know will end up being less than a good photo at the end of the day. You have to work out how to deal with this, but always remember that you are the professional that they are paying, so don't be meek, but on the other side don't bully your customers -ever!
Bad news travels further than good and a bad rep will get around (though I think you already know that) so be understanding and if they want something that won't come out as good as their expectations, don't feel bad at taking their money, but suggest some alternative shots to try and get some that you know will be good for them

Yeah im not a photographer by proffession by anymeans at all but ive had friends copmpliment my photographs before and then immediately follow it with, man i wish i had a wicked camera like yours... *bitchslapped* right to the face. i hate it.

I think the list of "Top Ten Things" was quite funny. Obviously the humorous bent was intended, even without the clarification. Sometimes, no matter how much you love something, you need to scream out your frustrations. And a place like this, where people can identify with others about something that is a major part of our lives, should be a place where things such as rants are let out and discussed. I enjoyed reading your post!

This is why I RARELY do any photography for my family/friends. They expect that much more out of you, and it really takes a toll on you. And if you don't do well, you're banished to the kids' table at Thanksgiving! :D:D lol.

In all seriousness, I echo what other people here say. RAISE. YOUR. PRICES. I used to charge (on the low end) $800.00 for a wedding, and while I got lots of weddings that way, the people who paid that much expected MUCH more than just $800.00 worth of their photography. They're the ones that will nickel and dime you on everything. It's not worth it, trust me.

I finally took it into account one day when I did a wedding, and figured out how many hours I ACTUALLY spent from start to finish (from prepping for the wedding to consultations to shooting to end product retouching and delivery) and it actually came out to about 45 hours. I calculated what I charge, and divided it by .. and I didn't feel very good. That's ONE wedding.

Now? I charge about $2400 for my low end, and my top end packages are in the 3.5-4k ballpark, depending on various factors. And you know what the funny part is? The more they pay you, the nicer they are. They're paying YOU all this money to photograph their event, and as a result, they'll listen to YOU when you need something done. I had one wedding where the bride bought the whole shebang (4.2k) and her family was probably the easiest people to work for. Anything I needed and when I needed it, it was done. I never once had to play ringmaster and bring people in, everything was there and ready to go, even at the formals.

Don't forget though - you have to put food on the table as well, and you have equipment to upkeep, and insurance to pay, overhead to meet if you have a studio, seminars to attend... your prices should help you meet those needs.

If I can make a few humorous suggestions that I have picked up over my years in business (not the photography business).

1) If it wasn’t for the customers this job would be great!
2) My normal special is half off double list, but since I like you I will charge you half off triple list!
3) Know when to walk away. Also know when to run away.
4) Everybody’s money is green.

Last edited:
Ive read somewhere that the type of customer you get is partially based on your prices. If you price yourself on the low side, youll get customers that are looking for a bargain and will try to stretch their dollar. If you price on the higher end, the target market usually doesn't complain about the money.

And if your friends and family are expecting to much of you, you could try to not work with them at all. That you don't want business to interfere with your relationship with them.

Photography is in a transition period. Its our job as photographers to educate the public as to what goes into a Professional image. Don't be afraid to tell them why your pics look so much better than the walmarts or soccer moms. They need to understand their is more to portrait work than the actual taking of the photo :D

The more people that have bad experiences with soccer moms and "want to be" photographers the more the public will learn to start looking at the true professional and realize that their is a need for a PROFESSIONAL when the truly important pictures are needed.

I guess the person that made this page was tired of customers asking why they charged so much, so they gave them every reason.

http://www.caughtonfilmphoto.com/costofphotography.html

Yep, that's me. Thanks for reposting our article. I wrote that about three months ago, posted it on one forum and it has since been reposted all over the internet on forums, websites, blogs etc. I even caught a couple of people trying to take credit for writing it (of all people you wouldn't think Photographers would do such a thing).

I guess I hit a nerve with Photographers who are tired of hearing "Well, Walgreens only charges $0.35 for a 5x7, why are yours $35?"

I'll be writing another one called "So You Think You Want to be a Photographer?" Should be fun. =)

Most reactions

Back