a picture of my sister CC

Abby Rose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so a long time ago my sister wanted me to try and take some nice pictures of her. We tried a shoot a couple of weeks ago, and I just got around to editing one today. Procrastination, doncha know.

This is the only one I've done so far, and it's quite heavily processed.

Please let me know what you think of it. It was her idea to stand in the wheat, but I'm not sure how I feel about her lack of feet. She doesnt know how to pose, and I dont know how to ask her to pose, so we did our best.

Also, the trees in the background intruded into the frame unless I held the camera at arms length above my head, but holding it like that I obviously cant compose or focus properly. :) I have a few frames with no treeline, but her head is very close to to the top of the frame.

She also said to "make my skin perfect". I tried. She hasnt seen this one (or any others) yet. :sexywink:

DSC06589B.jpg

Not bad. How old? :D

Heyyy! This is my baby sister. :hugs: lol

Processing: Gaussian blur on the background (pesky point & shoot lol), gaussian blur with added noise and the healing brush on the face and legs, warming filter over whole photo (25%, I believe), used the paintbrush tool to paint a translucent layer of a warm brownish color over the blue shadows on her arms and some on her legs, same but darker brown over the blue-gray shine in her hair, and an unsharp mask.

Original (dont laugh):

DSC06589.jpg

You did a good job with the post-processing background defocus! it looks rather similar, but not "quite" the same as the Nikon 135mm Defocus Control lens does. Good job on the post-processing created bokeh! The lack of feet is not bothersome, since she is standing in wheat stubble...there's a natural, obvious reason for her feet not showing up. She looks very lovely, and the early autumn evening light look in the processed image looks quite convincing. I'm sure she'll like the photo.

Thanks very much Derrel. :) I feel all warm and fuzzy, and secure in my photoshop skills now. lol

So, according to you, this would be an ok style to process the rest of them in?

Not bad. I see a bit of a halo around her arms... how did you create the mask for her?

The only thing I have to add is that you have to stop thinking "Center the subject... center it!"

Not bad. I see a bit of a halo around her arms... how did you create the mask for her?

Ahh didn't even notice that until you said it...there *is* a noticeable halo around her arms, which I'm guessing is from how you selected the area (since it's a pretty even halo, not blurred much). Otherwise I'd say you did a fantastic job on the PP! Many subtle changes that really enhanced the picture, which is *exactly* what you should be striving for.

Now...when you say *baby* sister...is she baby enough to "legally protect" her from guys like myself saying she's smoking hot? or would exceptionally beautiful be a safer term in this case lol

Oh, wanted to say you should definitely invest in a DSLR too. Guessing you're in college (judging by the Location thing under your name), but sounds like you'd really benefit from better control over your photography. Just something to think about.

I see what you mean, I thought I saw something funny around parts of her arms and a bit of her hair, but when I stared long enough it went away. :) So I wasnt sure if I was imagining it. I think, though, that I did make a few mistakes with the eraser in those areas. I just hope she wont notice, cause theres no way I'm going back and doing all that again on the same photo. :lol:

As for the masks, I'll try to explain but I'm really bad at telling this sort of thing. It was in ps elements 8, btw.

I masked in two (ish) steps... I did the background first. I made a background copy layer and added a pretty heavy gaussian blur, then I erased the background copy layer on top of her face, hair, arms, legs, dress, etc, completely. I left the wheat and trees completely blurred (no erasing to reveal background layer), except for the very bottom 1/4 (about) of the wheat, which I also erased. After that I changed the opacity of the eraser to make it more translucent, and erased more background copy blurred wheat, more in the center of the photo. I did that a few times, with the eraser less opaque each time, until it blended with the completely blurred trees and weeds in the ditch.

Flattened image.

For the skin, I made another background copy and put a gaussian blur on it (but way less), and also added noise (because it looked plastic-y when I didnt). I erased the background copy layer on all the wheat and trees, and her dress and hair. Also, her mouth, eyes, eyebrows, the shadow under her nose, and her neck and hands. I changed the opacity of the eraser to maybe 25% and erased the background copy layer on her arms.

Flattened the image again.

I hope that made sense... it wasnt actually that hard, its just the erasing took forever.

tirediron said:
The only thing I have to add is that you have to stop thinking "Center the subject... center it!"

Gotcha! You'll be pleased to learn that the rest from the shoot are not as centered. :)

DerekSalem said:
Many subtle changes that really enhanced the picture, which is *exactly* what you should be striving for.

thank you!

DerekSalem said:
Now...when you say *baby* sister...is she baby enough to "legally protect" her from guys like myself saying she's smoking hot? or would exceptionally beautiful be a safer term in this case lol

Don't even go there. :lol: I'm not gonna answer that one!

DerekSalem said:
Oh, wanted to say you should definitely invest in a DSLR too. Guessing you're in college (judging by the Location thing under your name), but sounds like you'd really benefit from better control over your photography. Just something to think about.

Well I was thinking about it, and it would definitely be fun, but money is an issue and I've only been playing with photography for about a year and a half. Plus, I've only had this camera for just under a year. And then there's the fact that I go through hobbies like the average person might go through Kleenex's, so this time next year I might not care for photography at all. :lol: I've decided to wait at least a year or two, and in the meantime learn as much as I can with the minimum amount of gear.

I think the shot looks good.

I am disturbed by the lack of feet, I think this is a personal preference though.

I don't shot people very well yet so I am impressed with the result from a point and shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back