A question about LCD monitors / hello to the forum!

AfroKen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kenleephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I'm new here, and was browsing the forum, which seemed friendly!

I have a question about monitors. Right now, I have a garden-variety LG LCD 19" flat-screen which I purchased at Best Buy for probably about $250.

What I would like to replace this with is a 24" flat-screen that translates to prints and so forth a little better. A lot of LCD screens seem really bright to me, which is great for the internet or editing audio, but perhaps not the greatest for editing photos for printing (yes, even when you turn the Brightness Control of the monitor down really far...hopefully you know what I mean).

Does anyone have any recommendations for 22-24" monitor? I'd prefer a flat-screen to try and keep the energy consumption down and save on space, which is at a premium in my tiny little house. I'd prefer to keep it under $800, but would consider something a little more expensive if it's really great.

Thanks!

Ken
kenleephotography.com

I don't have recommendations for a monitor, however when you do set it up, colour calibrate it to match your printer. No matter how great your monitor looks if your printer settings don't match, you will never get your pictures to print out the way you see them on the screen :)

Agreed. I actually don't have a printer, and send 'em out for printing at labs most of the time. And so far, I've had pretty good luck. But I feel like it's just that...luck. I also want a larger monitor anyway. :D Thanks for your reply.

calibrating for your printer (or using your lab's color profile) is the 2nd (or later) step. The first step is calibrating your monitor's display, and to properly do this, you need a calibration device. There have been many discussions about this, just search this section of the forum.

Also, check out THIS recent thread from our resident color expert.

Omigosh, what a helpful thread! That's exactly what I was looking for!!! I shoulda stuck with the search function a little longer. Thanks!

calibrating for your printer (or using your lab's color profile) is the 2nd (or later) step. The first step is calibrating your monitor's display, and to properly do this, you need a calibration device. There have been many discussions about this, just search this section of the forum.

Also, check out THIS recent thread from our resident color expert.

:thumbup: If the monitor isn't calibrated you have no idea what you are truely seeing.

Although Dell's released a (comparative to other IPS monitors) reasonably cheap IPS monitor... only in Japan, though. :(

IPS monitors are really hard to get here in Australia - where did you get your NEC from, Garbz?

Though I'm wondering about PVA screens... where would I find them?

That Dell was not in Japan only. It was released world wide, definitely in Australia as I have one at work. Got in just before the shortage of them due to the insane demand.
I'm not talking about the 2209WA, I'm referring to the new one. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back