A question for members from the UK, France and Germany

Ilovemycam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a couple of questions regarding you opinion as to some photos I am submitting to various museums in the UK, France and Germany.

Last edited:
With regards to the UK I don't think anyone would be bothered in the slightest. Whilst its your 'Independence Day' no one I know in the UK sees it as the US being negative to the UK in any way and is just another one of 'those holidays' you guys have.

On the other hand I can see why you are wary of the other photo. Its a tough one as countries have worked hard to put 'that' in the past BUT I guess it still happened and can't be brushed under the carpet. That said, it is illegal to sell nazi memorabilia in France and Germany so they thoughts are pretty strong on the matter. The second photo also isn't an account of nazi's but is a staged photo to evoke strong negative (and i guess in some positive) thoughts on the subject so could be viewed as provocative. I would personally air on the side of caution and not use that one.

Just my thoughts.

As said France and Germany both have very strict laws with regard to Nazi material so chances are you would get in trouble and likely not have the photo accepted at all - UK has no legal barriers that I know of but clearly some groups will and won't like it.

The UK also really won't care about 4th of July photos at all; its just nothing to us. Big for the USA, but its not celebrated or even noticed in the UK.

OK, glad I found out! Thanks for the help.

With regards to the UK I don't think anyone would be bothered in the slightest. Whilst its your 'Independence Day' no one I know in the UK sees it as the US being negative to the UK in any way and is just another one of 'those holidays' you guys have.

On the other hand I can see why you are wary of the other photo. Its a tough one as countries have worked hard to put 'that' in the past BUT I guess it still happened and can't be brushed under the carpet. That said, it is illegal to sell nazi memorabilia in France and Germany so they thoughts are pretty strong on the matter. The second photo also isn't an account of nazi's but is a staged photo to evoke strong negative (and i guess in some positive) thoughts on the subject so could be viewed as provocative. I would personally air on the side of caution and not use that one.

Just my thoughts.

Oh, it is not staged. It is an American Nazi I met and asked if I could go to her house and shoot her. I didn't want to show her face as I have no release. So I worked on her face for anonymity. It looked bad, so I made the whole picture fit the face theme. I had kept it as a un-doctored photo in my portfolio for years. But for publication I was not comfortable with it showing all the details.

Since it is not staged and is documentary, would they look on it differently or is it still banned?

I have to wonder why my work gets cofused with staged work so often? The most staging I do is to ask a person if I can photo them...as-is.

If you get a chance look at this NSFW shot of a poledancer.

http://www.artslant.com/ny/works/show/693488-pole-dancer-ross-county-ohio

I got a few comments about it on another forum. Most thought I had built the set and staged it. I just don't understand it? Does it look staged to you? I asked her to hold still for a second and shot her as I walked by. That was the exent of the 'staging.'

Last edited:
OK, I added (An American Nazi in her bedroom) to the description at Artslant. I don't want to be confused with staging such a photo. I didn't mind shooting it at all, just not my thing to stage. So I am glad this topic came up to clarify.

No problem. I guess our opinion on whether its staged or not is irrelevant. More to the point it appears stage to some degree when actually it generally isn't. :)

Gsgary, not really sure, we have some much history it all just blurs into a few thousands years of the past... ;)

Gsgary, not really sure, we have some much history it all just blurs into a few thousands years of the past... ;)

I believe there was a wee bit of a scuffle over which beverage to drink with breakfast, apparently some of them had enough of tea and fancied some coffee.

Most reactions

Back