a question

Now I took one more picture

DSCF4364b_resize.jpg

picture 4.

and did two steps – used the Channel mixer and then the Levels tool.

DSCF4364ee_resize.jpg

picture 4-A.

Gentlemen, could be the result after these first steps considered as more or less satisfactory? If not what was my mistake?

darkening the hair. Then the curves tool was used to remove mid-tone contrast, and darken the shadows. The lips were burnt slightly since they nearly disappeared when I did this. The background was dodged to remove the distraction. Finally a layer with a very deep dark green was applied as a Colour Dodge layer with an opacity of 38%.

Garbz, may I ask you to explain it a bit more detailed?
You said that lips were burned. You did something with it in Photoshop?
And I couldn’t find how to use a Colour Dodge layer. Where it is?

P.S. Actually, I have already found the 'burn' and 'dodge' tools - I am sorry for my ignorance :). But I cannot find 'color dodge layer'...

Using photoshop properly is as much an art form as composing and taking a good photo.

You should really take some time to learn the basics, buy some books and really try to understand the science behind some of the things your asking, appreciate how the various colours make up an image, the techniques to manipulate them and the effects you can and can't produce. You'll advance a lot faster than asking for so much help on forums - then people can help with specific questions you have :-D

It is, and there are a million ways to achieve the same results. Other than the adjustments tool you should also check out the layer blending options in the layers palate. That's how I added the green cast. I made a new layer and filled it with a single colour #000400 and then changed the Layer blending mode to colour dodge and reduced the opacity till it looked good.

Wrt image 4. This is a case where I opted to leave other colours in. Using just the red channel makes her face appear unnaturally white compared to her hair. Again too much contrast for my tastes but if that is what you are after it's your choice. I am not the artist here :)

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Done using the same methods as above but with a RGB 75% 20% 5% mix to keep her face a bit darker. Actually looking back my entire edit could be a tad lighter.

You'll advance a lot faster than asking for so much help on forums - then people can help with specific questions you have :-D

Hyakuhei,
On the one hand, you are absolutely right that I abuse kindness of the participants of this forum :)
But on the other hand, I feel that have a good progress and it hampers my conscience :)
I have already learned so much. My problem is that I have some experience as a photographer and now I want to learn some bases of Photoshop as soon as it possible since when I send a girl which I met her photos it determines if she agrees to be my model. :) Yes, books is a very good thing, but you cannot ask them questions… So I’ll try to combine both.

Garbz, I tried to follow your instructions (plus, I have lightened teeth) and I got it in this way

DSCF4364FFEEresize.jpg

picture 4 B

Also I tried to do what you said with my other photo.

portrait5_resize.jpg

picture 5

portrait5AB_resize.jpg

picture 5 A

Now I am going to read about layers and then continue my attempts :)
Thank you so much!

Most reactions

Back