A quick drive on Raptor Route *IMAGE HEAVY*

Aloicious

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographywild.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a little route I've discovered over the past year or so that has just an extraordinarily high amount of raptors along it, some days are better than others, but I always see something depending on how far I want to drive along it. I went halfway today, and it was a prime example of WHY I call this the Raptor Route...for each bird I was able to photograph, there was easily 3 or so I missed...it was a nice overcast day which gave a nice soft light on everything, but also made for some boring backgrounds, oh well...there are also very minimal places to perch that aren't man made (telephone/power poles, fenceposts, etc) so I took what I could get....these were all seen over the course of roughly 50 miles and ~3hrs.

First was the Common Raven (?, the hook in the bill and the white plumage is what brings the question mark) I know it's not a true raptor, but they inhabit the same area and are fun to shoot...

raven_zpsf66e87ee.jpg~original

Then there was a Eagle in the distance (its a heavy crop but I think its a juvenile baldie)

Eagle1_zps14f1ef00.jpg~original

Then there were the Red Tail Hawks:

redtail1_zpsdbeb27ed.jpg~original

redtail2_zps3eadcd70.jpg~original

redtail3_zps91041d61.jpg~original

Then there was a Golden Eagle (!never been this close to a wild one before! I followed him/her from power pole to power pole for probably 20 mins straight)

golden2_zpscc7c1e34.jpg~original

golden1_zps3d0630df.jpg~original

And finally there were a TON of rough legged Hawks:

roughlegged1_zpsfcad7296.jpg~original

roughlegged2_zpsa3a083a9.jpg~original

roughlegged3_zpse9616663.jpg~original

roughlegged5_zps1e45d471.jpg~original

Which brings us to the tail end of 2013..

roughlegged4_zpseee2b88a.jpg~original

Nice, wish i had a better raptor route. Mine you would be lucky to see a few at distance.

The birds colors are nice and pop well with the almost white background

All are outstanding, but #4 (the takeoff) is my fav in this set.

You take *amazing* pictures.

#4 and #7 are very nice, as they all are. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Absolutely outstanding! Makes me jealous! Like Matthew, there is just not a really reliable area for that kind of variety of raptor around here. Really nice work!

I have never ever seen a raven with all those white feathers, but if it's something else, I certainly don't know what it would be! Very unusual looking, and cool!

Thanks All! yeah it was a good last day of 2013 for birding over here. I was stoked to see the golden eagle, they're year round residents but its very rare to see them that close.

Absolutely outstanding! Makes me jealous! Like Matthew, there is just not a really reliable area for that kind of variety of raptor around here. Really nice work!

I have never ever seen a raven with all those white feathers, but if it's something else, I certainly don't know what it would be! Very unusual looking, and cool!

Thanks Sharon, I believe it is a partially leucistic common raven if I'm not mistaken.

Great set. Really like #6. Ive yet to see a Golden.

I want your raptor route! Very cool. I believe your Raven is indeed leucistic , Awesome!! Happy new year!

Great shots. Love them all.

Over the top. Very nice indeed

Thanks! I'm still stoked I got a golden heh, I may need to drive out to that area again soon and see if he's still out there.

Wow, I LOVE picture 4, that take off photo is really amazing. Great job!

Most reactions

Back