A selection of Milky Way photos

Thanks, I may play around with my camera equipment and see what I can produce. I may even get off my lazy butt and make one of these:

Make sure to share your results with us. That barn door tracker is kind of neat and the mathematics behind it are cool. It is way to labor intensive for me during the photo taking process though. For the MW you don't really need to track it anyways. It might be cool for getting some smaller things like planets and galaxies.
Forgive my ignorance on the subject but is the MW stationary, it doesn't move like most of the stars in the sky???
Sky Guide app on my iPhone is great at visualizing the Milky Way and other celestial objects so I know at what I'm looking. It or another similar app should be available for all phone operating systems.

Etoimos, spectacular images.
You've inspired me to get down to the VLA more frequently. And thank you for mentioning that the galactic core isn't visible during those months here in the Northern Hemisphere.

Thanks, I may play around with my camera equipment and see what I can produce. I may even get off my lazy butt and make one of these:

Make sure to share your results with us. That barn door tracker is kind of neat and the mathematics behind it are cool. It is way to labor intensive for me during the photo taking process though. For the MW you don't really need to track it anyways. It might be cool for getting some smaller things like planets and galaxies.
Forgive my ignorance on the subject but is the MW stationary, it doesn't move like most of the stars in the sky???
Sky Guide app on my iPhone is great at visualizing the Milky Way and other celestial objects so I know at what I'm looking. It or another similar app should be available for all phone operating systems.

You've inspired me to get down to the VLA more frequently. And thank you for mentioning that the galactic core isn't visible during those months here in the Northern Hemisphere.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Thanks John.

I personally use PhotoPills for planning my shots. Not only does it show dates, times, and locations for the MW, it does the same for sunrises and sunsets. Want to know when the sun will set directly over that cool tree you found in the woods, this app will tell you the exact date and time it will happen... many years in the future.

If that was not enough, it also has tons of photography calculators built in. When I bought it years ago it was $10. I'm not sure what it costs now, but I've found it to be the best photography app I've ever used and well worth the price. If you have ever see it, check it out for sure.

Fair light and fast lenses,

Keith

Most reactions

Back